Thanks for your waythrought, as clear as always, and so common sence i apreciate that!
Yup, but the WP one doesn't afraid me as i've another clutch case to put on
You're right, it was my first though ans IMHO the best option since the nut give me good leverage and the tig weld heat is spot on the bolt! But my tig welder is 2 stairs and few kms away from me, so it's not the most convenient option for me. I'll try to heat it up with some impact screwdriver, and if it's not sucessfull i'll break my back to weld a nut
In fact the engine is on my appartment and i've not so much tools and stuff here, but i can work on it on evening.
In order to put the rotor back on with 174nm of torque, with no scrap metal or hard thing around i had to improvise a little with my rotor holder tiny hand:
Keep up the good work, you could try with heat and impact screwdriver, I can only suggest you to lay the engine on the side and try to spray penetrating oil on that bolt and leave it overnight before the "operation". I was wrenching on one tengai engine from 90-ties and a lot of cover bolts had rust on threads, especially lower ones towards the ground, fortunately miall of them went out with a loud bang and a bit of rust smoke when you put a pressure on the wrench.
This is exactly what i've done, laying it on the side with a dab of penetrating oil multiple time a day for a week. Lucky you, i haven't that much luck with this one.
I've tried several time to heat it/vice grip during the week with no success. So i ended up welding nut and heating to orange/yellowish temp, put a wrench on it and ... it Turn... nop it break 😕
Now the broken bolt is flush with the case. Nontheless i'm not giving up so i welded a second nut, put a wrench on it, and ... it turn.. nop broke again, this time 4mm recess to the case
The wrenching gods aren't with me, but i don't consider that's a total loss, i managed to have less bolt stuck in here
I ended up drilling it up to 5.2mm and tap it to m6, but even spot on center and carefull perpendicular drilling, a part of the threads were missing, not so much i managed to torque a bolt up to 15Nm easily but i fell like it wasn't a durable fix.
Finally my good friend helicoil got me there
Let's back to work,
I've put on new clutch plate and spring, i know klr clutch last forever but at the time i've bought a new one i wasn't aware of that.
My shifter axle was pretty worn out
The shifter was loose on it , so i put another axle with a new seal too
Looks like You went to hell and back with that bolt, now no problem can touch You, and everything will be smooth sailing for now on😁. Joking aside nice to see the progress and keep on working on it, it will pay off in the end (of the sky). That bolt has a hole which exits on the other side(it is drill trough) so probably water made it rust badly so it broke multiple times when You tried to loose it.
Yup, my biggest ennemi, the one i fear the most, i've already lost some battle to him, i summon: (steel+aluminium)x(time+humidity)= galvanic rust 😡
When this appear, it's chimic weld, your only path is the path of (less possible) destruction.
But you're right, tengaï mean "the land over the horizon", I try to follow this deep poetry ans hope to see this land one day 😁
A forum community dedicated to Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, adjustments, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, conversions, and more!