Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
If the covers have the same dimension the cluch arm notch part is probably differnt, thicker on tengai to be able to engage pin properly which sits further out on tengai clutch

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I believe that i'm overcomplicating things (as usual)
So i measured distance between clutch arm and case on both covers, i found 76mm for both.

I also measured the two arm and they are the same for the pin rod end

I'm more confused than ever, i've put the tengai cover to see how it goes, and it seem to be a little too forward but not so much..

Anyway, in case of full clutch swap i've made a clutch holder, 6mm thick, could be usefull

I will let the night help me thinking about all this and understand what's going on

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
Damn I was betting the arm was different, but problem seems to be there all along...something is probably worn lol, but then again my clutch arm in the picture is also at around 12 o clock, so we have the same problem! Or we have none! Nice tool!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
OK, I have to say i'm a bit lost on this... don't know what to think..

Factually, the lenght of the case to arm is the same, and both arm are the same on pin rod side, so Tom was right ( i never doubted that ) when he say that you can swap covers without troubles.
i've searched on this forum and internet pics of arm in position, and it appear that on both of your bike they are a bit forward ( but not too much). With the tengai cover, it's a bit more forward than your tengai, 12oclock i'd say. with the 96 cover it's way too forward. I don't explain this difference.

The arm should seat like that ( picture credit: Tom Schmitz on his website)

I wonder witch clutch parts can worn over the time causing rod pin sticking out more? is there any? I tried both pin rod and both bearings i have with no differences.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
Maybe Tom has later clutch pull rod which is shorter and therefore his arm stays a bit back at 11 oclock position?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The difference between the two rod is 1.8mm.
I tried to put some washer between rod and pressure plate to see how much it would need. With a 3mm one it don't work not enought space. With a 1.5 one it get close to where it should be but still a little too thick :

With 96 cover, it will pull the clutch to 12h30 max

With the tengai cover

Is it possible to have like 1mm of wear somewhere on the clutch assembly ?

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
How thick is a compressed cover gasket? .020" - .5mm possibly.

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
I do not have much knowledge about clutches, but if the clutch springs become weaker can they become more compresable in clutch plate, allowing the plate to sit a bit further out of the assembly, so the pull rod also sits more out?

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Neither weak nor overly strong clutch springs will affect the stack height of a fully assembled clutch enough to even be worth attempting to measure. It is a matter of the movable, non-compressible parts and the distance to the cover actuator arm shaft.

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
Thanks Pdwestman, so we can rule that out, Blaze if You have more pull with tengai cover and arm I would use that. Is the tengai clutch arm moving the same amount when you pull it with shim and without it? Dont know tough if using the shim can brake something...

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
Can it be a bad bearing in your post 96 cover where the clutch arm sits? On tengai case there is also one more bolt which helps the rod to stay in place when turning

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
The stepped bolt which restricts vertical movement of the actuator shaft & arm has nothing to do this problem.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
I wouldn’t sweat about this small difference if it operates normally. Adjust the angle of the cable to minimize wear in the cable.

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
Blaze, may be the clutch arm is just welded in a little different position with shaft on tengai vs the 96?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
There is a gasket on both cover, so i could compare equally.

I managed to have the lever spot on 11h30 without any additional spacers:

How? Pretty easily in fact. A wiser person than me tell me that aftermarket friction plate could be a bit thicker than it should.
I measured my old stack : 33mm, the new one 34.5..
How funny ? About 1.5mm ! The new friction plate are 3.2mm thick versus 3.0mm for the old ones.

So i put back the old clutch as it is in specs and everything is fine with the 96 cover. Many thanks to you guys for the thinkering and a special thanks to my mysterious savior !

·
Registered
klr 650 c
134 Posts
Haleluya! So the plates were changed before this operation...finally an end, keep on the good work!

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
I measured my old stack : 33mm, the new one 34.5..
How funny ? About 1.5mm ! The new friction plate are 3.2mm thick versus 3.0mm for the old ones.

So i put back the old clutch as it is in specs and everything is fine with the 96 cover. Many thanks to you guys for the thinkering and a special thanks to my mysterious savior !
That will do it!
Freaking Aftermarket parts! I went back into page 2 to see if you told us a brand name. Nope!

Had your savior previously encountered the same problem, with the same brand of clutch plates?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
It was a frixion clutch kit

Nop but my savior is very knowleagable on klr

41 - 60 of 85 Posts