Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a status report on my 2011 KLR650

I installed my rear tire a while ago, and the front one this week end.
Though I'd post what they looked like FWIW.
The rear went just under 4K & the front just under 6K. I could have run them a little longer, but wanted to have good thread depth for off roading this summer. If only on pavement, I would have gone a few hundred miles more.
I run 21 psi in front, and 25psi in rear.
The Duro’s handle good on pavement. I’m not into mud, but gravel, rocky roads are no problem with these tires. Only had the rear in wet pavement, and it seems to grip ok. I do ride according to conditions.

I also changed oil. The usage was about 1 1/3 quarts in 2,868 miles. It was down to the bottom of the site glass with bike in upright position.
There were a few trips of 100 miles or so at speeds of 65 – 70 mph.
Most riding was more sedate.. 50 mph typical.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Looks like the stock tires were pretty much toast indeed! I like the Duro's, always wanted to try a set but they are not available in Canada. Looks like a fairly deep tread on them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
too bad they're not available here, nice looking tires. i'm already starting to look, my rear is pretty much done.

The usage was about 1 1/3 quarts in 2,868 miles. It was down to the bottom of the site glass with bike in upright position.

you should keep a closer eye on the oil level, lots of damage $$$ can happen to the head if the level gets too low.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires

Looks like the stock tires were pretty much toast indeed! I like the Duro's, always wanted to try a set but they are not available in Canada. Looks like a fairly deep tread on them.
650Stew & A4Twenty

I ordered mine on line from AmericanMotorcycleTire.com
No shipping here in the States. I wonder if you could get them shipped to Canada? May be worth a call to them to find out.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/contact_us.php?osCsid=590dceae4510b0b4c82271685d9455b0

I found them a bit stiffer than the OEM tires. I hope that means they will ware longer.

·
Banned
277 Posts
i try to avoid ordering from the states, the courier companies like to ream you with customs fees, usually ends up doubling the price.

i don't think it would be possible to last less :Damn:
Ha, I live on the Canadian border!
I should apparently start up a business driving across the Rainbow or Peace bridge and shipping from a Buffalo NY FedEx or Fort Erie, Ont. or Niagara Falls, Ont. one...
Apparently I could undercut those fees if it's that much for customs!

"No, sir, nothing to declare in my trunk here..."
:United_States:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also changed oil. The usage was about 1 1/3 quarts in 2,868 miles. It was down to the bottom of the site glass with bike in upright position.
I wouldn't let the oil level get so low. Keep it at the top of the sight glass with the bike level. Don't want to get in a situation where oil flow to the top of the engine is interrupted.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil

I wouldn't let the oil level get so low. Keep it at the top of the sight glass with the bike level. Don't want to get in a situation where oil flow to the top of the engine is interrupted.
I would not normally let it get that low. I wanted to see how much oil is used in "X" many miles. This gives me a reference point for future oil consumption.

My Honda's never use a drop. I love the KLR, but Kawasaki really needs to correct a few things on an other wise perfect bike.
I could understand this if it was a new model, but this has been on the market for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
i try to avoid ordering from the states, the courier companies like to ream you with customs fees, usually ends up doubling the price.

Everything I have ordered from the USA I have had shipped on the US Postal service. The item gets handed off to Canada Post when it crosses the border. NO broker fees and only a 9.95 fee from Canada Post to pay for the handling costs. The item will come to where ever you normally pick up a parcel, typically in 7 to 10 days depending on Customs delays.

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would not normally let it get that low. I wanted to see how much oil is used in "X" many miles. This gives me a reference point for future oil consumption.

My Honda's never use a drop. I love the KLR, but Kawasaki really needs to correct a few things on an other wise perfect bike.
I could understand this if it was a new model, but this has been on the market for quite a while.
How many miles on your bike when you first noticed the oil consumption?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many miles on your bike when you first noticed the oil consumption?
The dealer sold me the bike, used, with 389 miles on it. They said they changed oil before I bought it. I ran it for about 1,000 miles, and noticed it was down a little. I changed oil & filter my self and ran it until this oil change. This is my first change where I can say I know how it was driven, and exactly how many miles from a fresh change.

I’ll continue to keep an eye on my oil level.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts