Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

anyone know how difficult it is to get the fairing off? i wanted to do that black as well but it looks like it might be a pain to take off the turn signals.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Easy as pie! Two screws just above the turn signals, and two screws inside the fairing just above the turn signals. Two wires apiece to unplug for each turn signal. Then a 13mm (I believe) nut that allows you to remove the turn signal from the fairing. There is one other screw in front on the outside down low I forgot about. Should take you about 2 min.

Tank and sidecovers look good....I've been toying with black myself. Finally went with the Skytrain look but not after wrestling with the black theory long and hard. What kind of paint did you use?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.. maybe i'll go out and try taking it off tonight..

the paint is Krylon Fusion on the plastic and Rustoleum primer on the tank. i sanded it all down with 400 then 600 then 800 and wiped it all down with goof-off to take off the dust and de-gloss any spots i might have (theoretically) missed. 4 light coats of the Fusion and then 3 light coats of clear laquer. the tank is just primer at the moment, but i like the color and may just clearcoat it the way it is.

FYI i dropped the bike on the street a few days ago (after having painted the side panels) and the paint seems to take abuse nicely. one small scratch that i just sanded real quick and shot a little more Fusion and clear on, you can't tell it ever happened.

·
Registered
284 Posts
A couple of questions...

1. This clear lacquer you are using.... is it supposed to be compatible with the Krylon? The lacquers I've found don't seem to work with Krylon according to the instructions on the label. They say things like must be sprayed within one hour of base coat ect ect.. but you mentioned respraying after correcting a scratch..

2. How close does the tank match the plastics.....in my experience the same paint on both surfaces takes on a different hue. Yours appears to be the same is why I wondered....

3. I too use 220 400 800 1000 wet sandpapers but I didn't use the Goof off. Sounds interesting. You say it dulls down the gloss?

questions questions questions.... lol

Once you get that fairing done (and it won't take anytime at all) then all thats left staring you between the eyes is that tail section. :twisted: Now that's a little more involved but only a few minutes more work. Its worth it though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
X6_Hustler said:
A couple of questions...

1. This clear lacquer you are using.... is it supposed to be compatible with the Krylon? The lacquers I've found don't seem to work with Krylon according to the instructions on the label. They say things like must be sprayed within one hour of base coat ect ect.. but you mentioned respraying after correcting a scratch..

ok, technically "lacquer" may not be the correct term. what i used was Krylon "Acrylic Crystal Clear" in the Satin finish. there should be no compatability issue and whatever it says on the label i'd suggest you let the basecoat of Fusion cure for at least 24 hours before you seal it. you can apply as many coats of the Fusion as you like, allowing 10-15 minutes between coats for it to set, but then leave it be for 24-48 hours before you spray on your clear.

2. How close does the tank match the plastics.....in my experience the same paint on both surfaces takes on a different hue. Yours appears to be the same is why I wondered....
it doesn't match in the slightest, in fact its a different color ; )

take a closer look, at the moment my plastics are black and the tank is a charcoal grey primer. i sort of like the grey tank and i'm not sure how i'll finish it.

3. I too use 220 400 800 1000 wet sandpapers but I didn't use the Goof off. Sounds interesting. You say it dulls down the gloss?
yeah.. i'm a commercial painting contractor.. as is my dad.. so, for better or worse (and on monday i usually think worse) i know things about paint. if your painting a glossy surface you want to wipe it with a solvent that will kill the gloss first. almost anything will do, Wil-bond, paint thinner, or what i had handy which was "Goof-Off". the solvents dull the plastic and give you a nice porous surface for the first coat to grab, it seems to be holding up well. i dropped the bike recently and there was no chipping just a scratch where it scraped the curb.

Once you get that fairing done (and it won't take anytime at all) then all thats left staring you between the eyes is that tail section. :twisted: Now that's a little more involved but only a few minutes more work. Its worth it though.
i just went outside and took the fairing off now, i'm typing this in between coats ; )

my neighbors must think i'm nuts though.. its pouring rain here and i was outside getting soaked while i took the thing off.

i figure it will be worth it if its dry tommorow and i can ride to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JamieM said:
Dude,
Did you know your front fender fell off?
:lol:
Jamie
haha.. i took the thing off to paint it and then realized i liked it a lot better with it off. i live just outside NYC and chances are good this bike will never go offroad.. though if your familiar with the area you know that the term "road" is loosely applied here. i hit a pothole last night you could drop a bowling ball into.

i was thinking about getting one of those UFO Superbike fenders, the low one that goes on right over the front wheel. if anyone has a link to where i could buy one that would be great.

-j

1 - 7 of 7 Posts