Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I must admit I was having a great day today. I live in Marlin,TX. I had decided on taking a ride on the KLR to check out Lake Whitney State park. A little over an hours ride for me. The ride was wonderful and the weather couldn't have been better.:) As I was returning home about 5 miles from home she shut down like someone turned off the key. At first I thought gas? But was confused cause I was only showing about 145 miles since fillup. Anyway I rolled to a stop switched to reserve and hit the starter about 2 or 3 times then she started. I drove another 3 miles and she shut down again, but started right up again. :confused: After getting home I did a visual inspection but really didn't see anything. Also pulled the plug but visually looks fine. My Bike is a 2002 California model. I believe I read somewhere that all the smog control can cause issues? It only has 4000 miles on it. Bought it second hand in the Fort Hood area. I'm guessing someone from California was stationed there & is how it got here. Anyway any ideas sure would be appreciated. Up till now I haven't had any issues with my bike. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Possible fuel starvation due to vacuum in the gas tank. When the vents (in the fuel cap) stick shut, either pressure or vacuum will build in the tank. It it's vacuum, it will eventually prevent the fuel from flowing. When you stop for a bit, enough air will leak into the tank to allow the fuel to flow again, but not for long.

A fix is to remove the small orange diaphragms in those vents.

Of course, it could be something else entirely...

·
Registered
11 Posts
While driving through West Texas my 04 died having the same symptoms. It was the pump that is nounted on the left side of the frame near the kickstand switch. It was removed and the bike runs great. You might check it and consider removing it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 99 died in a similar way as i was just riding along. The side stand safety switch quit for no apparent reason. It is now bypassed. There was no cough, stumble or warning, it was as if the key was turned. The starter would crank, but no spark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info!

My 99 died in a similar way as i was just riding along. The side stand safety switch quit for no apparent reason. It is now bypassed. There was no cough, stumble or warning, it was as if the key was turned. The starter would crank, but no spark.
Now that sounds exactly what my bike did except that it would start as soon as I would stop and hit the started 2 or 3 times. I believe I will check this switch out in the morning and probably disable it just to be sure. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts