Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the more I look at it a 3x3" angle bolted across the skidplate brackets like the Happy Trails would be a perfect place! I can fab up something similar to the PD bars.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I am thinking of mounting the winch to the lower triple clamp.
I'd think that, that much weight semi-permanently mounted on the front fork would adversely effect dirt road handling enough to Put You in the ditch more often!

Tucker Rocky sells a Warn Motorcycle winch kit, with some sort of front fork strap kit and hand held or On-bike control buttons.
The Warn site doesn't show the cycle kit, Warn Industries - Motorcycle Winches

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
A winch would be way too heavy for me. Someone posted a ratcheting strap system that mounted to the forks on top of the fender.....wish I could remember the name of it now...

Dave

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used ratchet straps as come along just fine. I just like making things with metal. I think a little 1500 mounted on the crash bar cross support would look interesting and be functional as well. The box will only be ponderous on the tightest trails that an ATV wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here it is with the box and rack. Once I fab up the supports and crash bar I'll break out the paint. Black for the hardware and Olive for the plastics. I'll leave the tank and fairing graphite for now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've used a mechanical advantage type pulley system such as P/N item#99758 from harbor freight on my snow mobile. Much cheaper than a wench. Way lighter also. Just my .02.
Also "Dennis Kirk" has the Canyon Dancer stuff FYI.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Horray my centerstand, crashbars, cruise control and drink holder have arrived!!! Booo stuck working 7- 12 to16 hour days a week!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coming together. Work doesn't allow me any fab time. Bought Tusk bars and Studebaker centerstand, painted the plastics. I'm going to make a fender brace and attach a 1 1/4" ratchet strap to it. That should handle extraction.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Added flags and Fuel to the decal list. I need to get KLR650 made up on vinyl for the side covers and that will probably be it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got my muffler!!! Just needs a rear housing with a gutted starter motor and some feed chute!!! I'll get the S pipe measured up tomorrow so it will aim straight back. I might ditch the fender and center it but then I would have to figure out what to do with the lights!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts