Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on this mount for about a week and finally finished it up. A few things I considered prior to designing the mount:

* I didn't want to mount the case directly to the bike.
* I didn't want to permanently modify the bike unless absolutely necessary.
* I wanted to be able to change the position of the case for different types of riding.
* I wanted to be able to rotate the case 180 degrees so I can access the case while sitting on my bike. (to access my DSLR).
* I wanted to be able to make the changes on the fly without having to open the case and remove my stuff.
* I wanted to be able to use the handles on the rear platform when using my center stand or lifting the bike up off the dirt.

Here's how it turned out:

I designed and machined a set of mounts that utilize the same mounting threads on the KLR's platform (4 - M6 screws).

I also machined a set of mounts that are attached to the case and mate to the mounts on the bike. (tongue and groove) There are approximately 13 tapped holes on each mount. (Notice my faithful assistant?)

I designed and produced these SS pieces to stiffen up the bottom of the box where the thru holes were drilled for mounting. The piece on the right also acts as a divider where I'll put some protective foam in to hold my DSLR equipment securely.

Case mounted backwards and forward over the seat. This will bring the weight of the case and it's contents over the seat. I think this will work well when I'm out goofing around on day trips.

Even with the case mounted this far forward, I can still use 4 bolts on each side to secure the mounts to each other. It's very solid.

Centered over the platform.

The mounts are 6061 aluminum. I designed them to lock into each other so there is minimal stress on the bolts as the bike bounces up and down. The total thickness of each mount is .63".

I also did my best to keep the weight down. I think with the case (1550 pelican) and the new parts it comes in around 11 pounds.

I will need to use a hex key to remove the bolts to change position / remove the case. I thought about pins, but I just wasn't comfortable with it.

I haven't had a chance to test it but it sure feels solid, and seems like it will be just as versatile as my KLR.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
SD Charlie -

I wish I could do work like that.

Beautifully done!

T

p.s. BTW - dat dere bike in da back ground - da one wit da blue wheels? Dem forks got put in upside down. Might want to check on dat...

What kine motorsickle dat anyway? Bool?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sweet setup.

What do you charge for those brackets? I would love something like that but could not come close to building it as good as that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words fellas.:)

What kine motorsickle dat anyway? Bool?
Yeah, that's my Buell 1125r (2008). She'll probably go up for sale soon.

Chuck, nice work! You may end up with requests to distribute. Are you up for a ride this weekend?
Sounds good, let me know.

What do you charge for those brackets? I would love something like that but could not come close to building it as good as that.
I haven't given it much thought. I have yet to put them through their paces. Let me get back with you on it.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
..Yeah, that's my Buell 1125r (2008). She'll probably go up for sale soon...
Not sell Bool. Dat cool bike. Fast. Even if fork not right.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Nice job, man! Don't sell the Buell, they are gonna go up in value for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Very, very nice work. I'm impressed. You put a lot of thought into features and how you needed to use the case and made it happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good job on that. Looks versatile as you said. I said F it an just bolted my case to the rack. Im interested to hear how it performs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have heard of multiple people breaking those M6 bolts when offroad with weight in a pelican or similar. Seems the fix is to drill right through & put a nut on the other side whilst also going up in bolt size. Just a thought....
Nice machine work :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again fellas for the kind words.

Im interested to hear how it performs.
Well, I did a little riding this weekend with the new case mounted. I took it off road and ran it through some washboard, and some other bumpy stuff. From what I can tell so far: it's really no worse for the wear. I positioned the case almost centered over the rear axle, I didn't feel any added weight or anything unusual with it. I think a couple months will really tell the tale.

Have heard of multiple people breaking those M6 bolts when offroad with weight in a pelican or similar. Seems the fix is to drill right through & put a nut on the other side whilst also going up in bolt size. Just a thought....
Nice machine work :)
I 'm a little curious about the M6 mounting bolts breaking. This was not an initial concern when putting this together. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. Like I said, the total weight with the case, brackets and hardware is about 11 pounds. I doubt I'll be exceeding 20 pounds total with contents. So Hopefully, this won't be an issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice job-- would be sweet to be able to slide a top mounted pelican around- sometimes slide it back to allow for a pack between the rider and the Pelican, other times, slide it full forward, maybe enough to serve as a backrest...

+1

·
Registered
2 Posts
you should see how much it would cost you to do a run of these I would be interested. I think aircraft pins would work if they fit tight so as not to rattle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts