Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been gearing up as I wait for my class in April, so I thought I'd share what I have so far for me and my bike.

The bike is a green '08 with 10,000 miles on it. I bought it used locally from a guy who kept it mostly stock, well maintained, and pristine. He added aluminum BMW panniers and frame, a taller windshield, various small guards, a Corbin and a homemade backrest made from a Cadillac headrest. All for $3000 :)

I added Mefos, Moab rear shock, and progressive springs.

This is my first bike ever so I'll continue to farkle the hell out it, I'm sure..

For myself, I went over the top probably with gear, I have a friend who wears flip-flops, t-shirt and shorts on his Harley, but I need to survive this.
From head to toe:
Arai RX-Q
Alpinestars Durban Gore-tex Jacket and Pants
Revit Alaska Gloves (gonna get Held Air Stream gloves for summer)
Dianese TRQ Tour Gore-tex boots (being shipped still)

So far, I just wear my gear around the house and scare the dog.

Now I'm assembling pack and camping gear, but that's a different thread.

It's been a solitary obsession so far, but I've been enjoying reading all the posts here and getting ideas. I will post my own experiences with the bike and gear as they happen.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
Wynter -

It sounds like you've got a good thing going there. Good on ya for springing for the gear.

Looking forward to the discussion on camping gear!

T

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
You've picked high quality safety products for yourself. Don't believe I've ever got up from a git-off and said "wish I had bought a lessor quality ____. Road rash ain't so bad."

I'm a fan of Held Gloves. If you aren't aware of them, I found these to be my favorite summer glove:

http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?pid=3095

Good protection, good ventilation, and good price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Tom: Thanks, where is the appropriate place to discuss camping stuff?
@ Crazy Jake: I have them, I just need to step up the posting a bit to hit my minimum. What is that, anyway?
@vatrader: My concern with Held is the quality control issue that keeps coming up. They either seem to be great or they have stitch problems, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@vatrader: My concern with Held is the quality control issue that keeps coming up. They either seem to be great or they have stitch problems, etc.

I guess this is really to anybody. Unnecessary bits continue ;-)
I got my boots today. Sooo nice. A couple of small stitching issues, it looks like the Dstone fabric would lose in fight with a house cat. The top has itchy stitched in unnecessary crap, easily remedied. I put my heel lift and hard plastic insole inserts in and it's really comfortable. I like that has a full gaiter, one rear zip, adjustable velcro calf cinch cut outs and no buckles. The toe bed is always an issue for me, I have to be able to wiggle about freely, and I can! My concern is really only with longevity, I want them to last but I plan to beat them up a bit too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seriously, how many posts do I need to post pics? I thought it was 15, which would mean I have just a few more before you get to see my sexy boots!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And while I'm enjoying this one sided post flurry, where Do I talk about camping stuff? I got a hammock tent that, of course, entitles me to obsess with people at hammockforumsdotnet, but does anyone here have experience with these? I have this vision of sleeping above (ish) my klr as we travel.

And the real question: What do you pack? You don't need to answer, I have a feeling that I just need to start reading those threads now. They're there, right?

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
It used to be 15 posts before you could post pics and links, but I think they might have changed it to 10... Give it a shot, it might work. Most people here use a Photobucket type hosting account and then just paste the img link into their posts here. As far as the camping stuff, I think there are a few threads on that here and I believe Crazy Jake has a Hennesy Hammock. Awesome deal on the bike to I must say, your gonna love it! I'd love to see a pic of the boots (and the bike!)

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I just uploaded a pic from the phone to my new photobucket acct and tried to post. It said I need 15 posts, so... one more

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I believe Stew is right about the 10 post count in order to post images. I think if you will start a new camping gear thread in the forum "Gadgets and Gizmo's", there should be some good responses.

http://www.klrforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
Wynter -

I did a little edit on that for ya.

When inserting pictures, click on the little icon that looks like a postcard. Paste the URL into the dialog box to get the pics to show up in your post.

"Nice boots. I like the jug, too", Tom said emptily...

T

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Nice boots! I still wanna see the bike though, the pic didn't come through... Oh, like Tom says, nice vase! :D

Edit: I see it, I see it!! Nice bike! Is it in your living room? Wish mine was, it's in the cold lonely garage...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Tom, my bike shows up now too.
I like the vase too, local woodworker.
Challenge: who do the signatures on the baseball belong to? me. bad semantics. whose are they?
"hmm..what's written on the ball?" Scott batted tiger-ishly...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At first it spent some time with the dog and I watching TV. Now my bike is getting the mefos on at a local mechanics, not the dealership. Afterwards, it will sit outside chained to an auger, covered by Dowco with an alarm. I hate to do it, I hope it doesn't resent me.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
Thanks Tom, my bike shows up now too....
There ya go!

And you got the green one. Hmmmm.

Ah well, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

T

1 - 20 of 37 Posts