Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going through my new-to-me KLR, checking and fixing various things.

This weekend I opened the air box and found this. Looks to me like a K&N washable filter.

I suspect the original owner installed it and the previous owner never checked or cleaned it.

Couple questions:
  1. Do you think I'll be able to clean it or is it too far gone?
  2. Will cleaning this air filter change how my bike runs?

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Personally never been a fan of K&N filters. I think their marketing is great though. I’d replace it with a UNI or a OEM filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty nasty. I've never used an K and N before so I'm not familiar with their cleaning process. A dirty air filter will definitely affect how your bike runs, mine won't rev out properly once the filter is dirty.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd double what klr4evr said and you'd probably be better off throwing that away in lieu of one that is more purpose-built. I've been using a pair of Twin-Air filters for 4 years - alternating them between filter changes - and they both look & work like new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have seen worse. The K&N filter is not the favorite on this forum, but I have run K&N filters on some of my other bikes. I always used the K&N recharger kit with filter cleaner & oil. That filter should clean up nicely, unless a different oil (like No-Toil) was used on it. I run the OEM filter on my KLR. Funny what you sometimes find on a pre-owned bike. When I was checking my new-to-me '09 KLR, I discovered a 1/4" hole drilled in the filter door. Inside, the filter material was coming apart at the glue lines & was like hard Styrofoam. It seems there had been a long term hard starting issue, so the P.O. made it easy to apply starting fluid, which totally destroyed the filter. The actual issue was poor spark due to the spark plug cap being loose on the wire.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Ditto, aside from dubious filtration the K&N in this application has been proven to flow poorly. You will need a new filter cage (Eaglemike or dealer) and a Uni or other good quality foam filter. Use proper foam filter oil and apply as directed.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
As others have said, the K&N needs Re-oiled after cleaning also.

You will need to purchase the white plastic frame (part # 13191-1473) from Kawasaki to convert back to an oiled Foam air filter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info and advice on switching to a UNI or OEM filter.

None of my usual sources have the filter holder or OEM filter in stock, so I'm going to clean and re-oil the K&N to get back on the road asap.

Once the new filter comes in, I'll install it. I'm really curious to see if and how it changes the performance. The bike seems to run a bit rich and doesn't have much top end (even for a KLR). I've been getting around 40 mpg. I'll let you know what happens!

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Might want to open up the carb and check to see what jetting you have when you have a chance; Dynojet and rebadged versions have jetting recommendations that are way too rich.

Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wish I woulda' taken a pic of my filter after the Swinging Bridge Rally in MO a couple of years ago...Dry, dry, dry...and I was riding at the rear of about 5 fellows on some really dusty roads for two days....Made me wonder what my lungs looked like? I did cough up a couple of dirt roads...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wish I woulda' taken a pic of my filter after the Swinging Bridge Rally in MO a couple of years ago...Dry, dry, dry...and I was riding at the rear of about 5 fellows on some really dusty roads for two days....Made me wonder what my lungs looked like? I did cough up a couple of dirt roads...
Swinging Bridges tour. i did that solo once - way back around 2003-04 on my '02 I bought from Liberty Cycles in KC,MO. Funstuff. I sat under one of the metal bridges while cars went over it. BIng-Bang-Boom... it was loud.

sre

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
That filter is nothing; in dusty cross country races our filters would be so bad half way through the race the bikes wouldn't run and we had to change them in the pits.

Dave

·
Registered
67 Posts
These were taken mid trip. 1 weeks riding. Had ridden from Broken Hill (have you heard of the mining company BHP?) to Innamincka via dirt roads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Most interesting since I've used K&Ns on so many of my bikes over the years that I'm shifting to one for my KLR. I've never seen such a bit of foam rubbish filter on a bike as the stock one on my KLR.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Most interesting since I've used K&Ns on so many of my bikes over the years that I'm shifting to one for my KLR. I've never seen such a bit of foam rubbish filter on a bike as the stock one on my KLR.
I would disagree. Bull dust is like red/orange talcum powder & as you can see in the air box pic above the area inside the filter is clean so the OEM filter works well.
Having said that it's your bike so no issue with you doing what makes sense to you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It does seem that the stock filter works quiet well and filters out very fine particulate. . Mine is in like new condition and clean so I suppose it really does make no sense to spend money on a K&N.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts