Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Plant

Hi kids, it’s me Ray again. After searching for 6 months I finally found the correct crash bars and complete goggle bag. No longer at 1300 miles. I managed to get 500 around town miles on it. Looks complete right. Although these bikes are hard to find in the US. They are out there. If this is your forever bike, don’t give up.
Thanks guys and gals. See ya on the road. And the turkey greets me now every time I go to my buddys out in the county. Lol

·
Registered
‘22 KLR650 Adventure
2 Posts
Rode a M1030B1 for a short time in the Army.. one of those trial and error things we tried out for LRSD. Borrowed the bikes from the SF. I think it was around '94... anyhow great bikes but our trial was short lived and we went back to mod'd hummers. Cool to see one still tooling around.

So, how hard are they to find?? Old boot like me might try to find one. ;)

~ Tusker

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rode a M1030B1 for a short time in the Army.. one of those trial and error things we tried out for LRSD. Borrowed the bikes from the SF. I think it was around '94... anyhow great bikes but our trial was short lived and we went back to mod'd hummers. Cool to see one still tooling around.

So, how hard are they to find?? Old boot like me might try to find one. ;)

~ Tusker
Cool, I bought the bike so I could rep my SF Brothers, The Devil Dogs, and Airborne all in one. I was at Bragg assigned 7th SFGA Sig. Co. Motor Pool from 79-81. and 509th ABCT HHQ in Italy all of 82 and 83. 63B Mechanic. all the fleet were Vietnam Era. I wish anything like this would have been part of our fleet. Even back in 81 I saw Delta over by Pope AFB riding big bore military crossover bikes. I knew what I was looking at. Rode my first clutch in 1971. Instant lifelong fan. I don’t want to paint USMC Stencil #s and letters, So I have some decals coming. USMC nose art for the front plate. Durka Durka! for side plates. Airborne death head on the tank. In Texas we have paratrooper license plate. Got them in the mail already. Once everything gets here I’m going to load it down like it was meant to be loaded and get A few more final pics. Decals, loaded, military plates. And to all you vets out there. Thank You so much. It means something here.
And to the availability of the gas version B1. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there. I’ve been looking into this for only a few months so I’m not really the guy who would know. I haven’t found any numbers on the gas in the US, or diesel for that matter. However, I’ve only seen 2 gas for sale on ebay In 3 years or so. In the last month there have been 3 diesels for sold on eBay. I’ve seen around 8 or so gas on line others own. Same with the diesels. I’m open to solid provable numbers. So there is maybe around 20 total M1or B1 KLRs as far as I’ve looked into it. Probly less. But they are out there. Also I’ve seen old Military auction sites with these bikes at auction selling for 200-500 dollars. So I know there are other parts bikes out there. That’s what I started with. It was in bad shape. The normal outdoor storage for years look but low mileage with a solid clean drivetrain. My point is, looking for a parts bike will put you in one sooner. The hunt is for real..
Keep safe my friends, pics soon I Hope.
Ride On

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
You guys need to check with @Johnnny13 on his thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow very clean!
I am interested in how much wind buffeting you get on your helmet when riding over 50mph. I have the stock headlight cowling/fairing on my KLR and sitting down I get a lot of wind noise in the helmet. If I stand up, the noise goes away. So I'm wondering how the wind buffeting is on your KLR. I think the military KLR 650 uses a KLR 250 style headlight assembly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow very clean!
I am interested in how much wind buffeting you get on your helmet when riding over 50mph. I have the stock headlight cowling/fairing on my KLR and sitting down I get a lot of wind noise in the helmet. If I stand up, the noise goes away. So I'm wondering how the wind buffeting is on your KLR. I think the military KLR 650 uses a KLR 250 style headlight assembly.
Lotsa wind noise both full Face Bell and 3/4 cheap shielded. Your right about the headlight cover. I ride upright tight on the tank. Maybe 60mph. Windy day Noise at 50 for sure. However On a nice clean riding day, with the black 3 day pack strapped down tight on back, 75-80 Mph seems to be a Pretty easy ride. Can’t really feel any resistance. In line. Kind of streamlined I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 31822
View attachment 31825
View attachment 31823
View attachment 31824
View attachment 31826
Hi kids, it’s me Ray again. After searching for 6 months I finally found the correct crash bars and complete goggle bag. No longer at 1300 miles. I managed to get 500 around town miles on it. Looks complete right. Although these bikes are hard to find in the US. They are out there. If this is your forever bike, don’t give up.
Thanks guys and gals. See ya on the road. And the turkey greets me now every time I go to my buddys out in the county. Lol View attachment 31822 View attachment 31823 View attachment 31824 View attachment 31825 View attachment 31826 View attachment 31822 View attachment 31823 View attachment 31824 View attachment 31825 View attachment 31826

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Looks like your missing the front and rear blackout light and swing arm military data plate. I can answer any questions you have about them. I’ve restored 7 so far and have kept two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like your missing the front and rear blackout light and swing arm military data plate. I can answer any questions you have about them. I’ve restored 7 so far and have kept two.
Sweet, don’t guess you have any blackout lights laying around? Lol. Data plate is on the swing arm my friend. I Just didn’t see a need to picture it. Kinda knew i would get called out on it at some point. #599057.
doubt I’ll ever find the blackout lights. But that’s what I said about the bars. I’ll Go get a current pic of the USMC Plate shortly and post it. Bike needed a lot of attention. Cool bikes, wouldn’t mind finding another low mileage gas version. Bought it to ride for sure.
Rectangle Font Handwriting Wood Gas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet, don’t guess you have any blackout lights laying around? Lol. Data plate is on the swing arm my friend. I Just didn’t see a need to picture it. Kinda knew i would get called out on it at some point. #599057.
doubt I’ll ever find the blackout lights. But that’s what I said about the bars. I’ll Go get a current pic of the USMC Plate shortly and post it. Bike needed a lot of attention. Cool bikes, wouldn’t mind finding another low mileage gas version. Bought it to ride for sure. View attachment 32243
Your Without a doubt, the most knowledgeable about these bikes. Please consider starting a registry for these bikes. Hard to find legit Military bikes. Hard to find parts as well. How does one even know how many made it back to the US? Or true numbers per years of service on the contracts. How many are on the road legal like. Who knows these things? I have questions. Lol.
Several.
Thanks Man!
Ray from Texas

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
doubt I’ll ever find the blackout lights. But that’s what I said about the bars. I’ll Go get a current pic of the USMC Plate shortly and post it. Bike needed a lot of attention. Cool bikes, wouldn’t mind finding another low mileage gas version. Bought it to ride for sure. View attachment 32243
Didn’t realize it was painted over. It’s awesome you have it. I’ve seen some where they replaced it with a civilian one and it sucks. I think I do have blackout lights for you. I usually put broken ones on the front as they always break while riding but at least they are there. I’ve got the 5988 series bikes made in 2000. Of you have any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Didn’t realize it was painted over. It’s awesome you have it. I’ve seen some where they replaced it with a civilian one and it sucks. I think I do have blackout lights for you. I usually put broken ones on the front as they always break while riding but at least they are there. I’ve got the 5988 series bikes made in 2000. Of you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Ok, cool. I wasn’t going to hook up Electrics on the blackout lights Anyhow. They’re going to be for looks only. I managed to acquire a new pair of IR (thermal imaging) lights off of a hummer. It’s a 24v system so I dug a little and found an assortment of step up converters 12-24v 10amp. The hummer lights have high and low beam so I’ve got to sort out the correct Switch and wiring, after finding a way to mount them with The crash bar bolts on the bars. Ive got to fab a really good solid bar rail for the lights. These lights are a little heavy. I’m going to use the blackout Light power source to power the IR lights. If I’m solo camping I would like to know if a Hungry pack of coyotes or wolves are close by and Sniffing the scent I just left for them to pursue. If the lights don’t look right On the bike I’ll scrap the whole idea. I’ll get back to you on the blackout lights. I definitely Need them to get things right my friend. Not sure how to PM. Barely I phone 6 literate myself. No computer. But I’ll figure it out by the end of this weekend: Thank you again my friend.
Ride on.
Ray from Texas.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Ok, cool. I wasn’t going to hook up Electrics on the blackout lights Anyhow. They’re going to be for looks only. I managed to acquire a new pair of IR (thermal imaging) lights off of a hummer. It’s a 24v system so I dug a little and found an assortment of step up converters 12-24v 10amp. The hummer lights have high and low beam so I’ve got to sort out the correct Switch and wiring, after finding a way to mount them with The crash bar bolts on the bars. Ive got to fab a really good solid bar rail for the lights. These lights are a little heavy. I’m going to use the blackout Light power source to power the IR lights. If I’m solo camping I would like to know if a Hungry pack of coyotes or wolves are close by and Sniffing the scent I just left for them to pursue. If the lights don’t look right On the bike I’ll scrap the whole idea. I’ll get back to you on the blackout lights. I definitely Need them to get things right my friend. Not sure how to PM. Barely I phone 6 literate myself. No computer. But I’ll figure it out by the end of this weekend: Thank you again my friend.
Ride on.
Ray from Texas.
I think I know what your talking about as far as the hummer lights. I’ll send you a pic of those on the bike. The Rangers had a modification for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts