Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The background. 2010 klr with 12k on the clock. Under lower speed lug type conditions, I am getting a clank. It is not rhythmic. It is irregular as it can be. Clank, clank, pause clank, pause pause ......pause clank............clank. I have not ever done anything with the Doo. Is this what it sounds like when there is a lack of tension? I haven't done valves either. I would like to check both. Is there any of you in the Salem, Va vicinity that have done any of this stuff? I was hoping for a tech day, but our resident tech day organizer has not been heard from in about 8 months. Pat are you out there?

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Chain slapping. I have been hesitant to tighten this up, but I think it is ready.
The engine balancer chain? Have you ever adjusted it? I've never heard one, but would think a loose balancer chain noise would be constant and maybe even worse at higher rpm's? I've heard it described as kind of a grinding noise. Would also note that "lower speed lug type conditions" are something that should really be avoided. In my book, "lug" = "bad."

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Chain slapping. I have been hesitant to tighten this up, but I think it is ready.

The chain can do weird stuff. I had a strange low speed surge going on and I was about to tear into the carb. Then I noticed the chain had a stiff link in it. Lubed it and worked it back and forth until it loosened up, surge gone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts