Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a KLR to commute to work....Hopefully some rain and a little snow...heheheheh.......But its 120 miles round trip per day around 74MPH....90% thruway.....I need new sprockets to change my future bikes gear ratio........If not I have to drive a heavy pig street bike.........Boring.................Thanks

Please guide me to the promise land

·
Registered
815 Posts
Do you have any chance at all to borrow a KLR and try this for a week?

There are quite a few hardcore KLR riders, but I'm not one of them. If I had to ride 120 miles a day on this thing.... well.... it just wouldn't happen.

You looking to be a weekend offroad warrior also? It's a fine line setting up the bike for daily miles like that and then allow it to be a decent off-roader as well. I can't imagine using anything other then strictly road tires for this kind of mileage unless you want to replace tires every month. At constant 70+ speeds, anything but road tires is going to wear fast. Most road tires can handle maintained forest roads, but gravel and anything more off-roadish will not be fun. You can always get another set of rims and tires and swap them out, but that's a pain after you do it every time you want to go offroad.

Not to rain on the idea... just being a voice of reason.

·
Registered
38 Posts
74 mph on the freeway is 80mph on your KLR speedometer. The speedometer reads higher than actual so when you test ride the KLR make sure you are going 80mph indicated.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Mine shows exactly the correct speed, but my buddies is 5 mph off. I don't think they are all the same, tire wear, air pressure, etc. can make a bit of difference in actual speed and indicated speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres a quick vid off my offroad toy........Im all about muddin and fun.....

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/f1rocco460/?action=view&current=mov01375.flv

My reason for getting a KLR soon is I dont want a big fat street bike.....Something I can do 160mph is something I dont want.......The KLR with the sprocket change would/should be great........I can see myself having an extra set of tires/rims sprockets and chain to swap out when I change my weekends plan...............I love going to auto races such as Watkins Glen and Mudding events....Most of these areas require offroad paths to get there(AKA Closer)heheh-lolol.................I also hunt.........I also want to expand my cycle driving to alittle more of what mother nature has for me.............Summer drives and sweating my nards off in between lights is just lame............I wanna feel the rain....Taste the dirt...........And hopefully not eat the snow..........Here is a local bike I have my eyes on.........

For sale - 1998 KLR650. Good condition, well cared for. Never off road. Just under 11,000 miles. Has Dunlop 90/10 tires. Currently lowered 2" but comes with original rear suspension links as well. New battery this spring. Has Corbin saddle. Has Storm Case 2400i (similar to Pelican) mounted to the luggage rack. Has Cobra exhaust, but comes with stock pipe. Just inspected last weekend. $2200

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Mine shows exactly the correct speed, but my buddies is 5 mph off. I don't think they are all the same, tire wear, air pressure, etc. can make a bit of difference in actual speed and indicated speed.
DXKLR,
You've got a rare bike there, indeed.
Mine's 4-5 mph off, depending of course on the tires I'm running at the time. I check EVERY vehicle I own against my GPS to find out how accurate the speedo is and also checking the ODO too.

My GoldWing is actually the first bike I've ever owned that's actually close. It reads 1mph faster than I'm actually going.

My V Strom's the worst I've ever owned, with it reading 7mph faster than I'm actually going.

My KLR's in between, at 4mph off.

The weird thing is, with these speedo readings off this far, the ODO is usually within 1-2 miles per every 100..

F1rocco,
For your street set of tires, definately look into the Michelin Anakee line for great street grip and long wear. When inflated correctly, you'll see almost 3 times the usage as the typical 50/50 tire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Getting a KLR to commute to work....Hopefully some rain and a little snow...heheheheh.......But its 120 miles round trip per day around 74MPH....90% thruway.....I need new sprockets to change my future bikes gear ratio........If not I have to drive a heavy pig street bike.........Boring.................Thanks

Please guide me to the promise land
I dont think your going to be real happy with a KLR 5 days out of your week. Sure, you can do it, but I dont think you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems to be a split thought on long distant miles or high speed miles....Is the KLR that uncomfortable..uncontrollable....
Im reading speed test on these bikes at plus 100mph....So Im thinking 70-75 wouldnt be to bad with the 16t......
Is it because the KLR seems to feel a tad bit too much like a dirt bike and 120 miles would feel like eternity.....Too physical ....Would I feel like I got into a fight each day......

Just wondering

·
Registered
80 Posts
That one piston is awfully busy at 75 mph for 60 miles at a time and although it wont hurt anything ( other than possible high oil consumption ) your going to feel it. Wind and big rig turbulence will be felt more on a bike of this type. As mentioned earlier, tires that will last awhile for your 5 days of commmuting will not provide the desired grip for your weekend off road rides depending on the dirt surface. Any mud with a good street tire will have you hating life.
I just feel that too much of your time will be spent outside of the box that the KLR was designed for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That one piston is awfully busy at 75 mph for 60 miles at a time and although it wont hurt anything ( other than possible high oil consumption ) your going to feel it. Wind and big rig turbulence will be felt more on a bike of this type. As mentioned earlier, tires that will last awhile for your 5 days of commmuting will not provide the desired grip for your weekend off road rides depending on the dirt surface. Any mud with a good street tire will have you hating life.
I just feel that too much of your time will be spent outside of the box that the KLR was designed for.
+1
Maybe a wee strom with a 50/50 tire would be a better choice?
Otherwise you could look into a KTM 990 if you have an extra $13K laying around.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Would I feel like I got into a fight each day.
Good analogy!

I fully understand the desire to have the KLR650 abilities, but 120 miles a day for extended periods is simply out of it's stock realm. You will get opinions that are the complete opposite and will say the KLR is exceptional for this type of commute, but some people just have high tolerance levels.... again, not me!

$2,200 for the bike allows a lot of farkling to make it comfortable though. How comfortable is something only you can answer.

Items to consider....

Windshield - stock is worthless above 60 for extended periods on open roads. Depending on your height, consider a 9+ or 11+ clearview or other aftermarket.

Skinny tires cause more wandering - not much you can do except get the best street tire possible.

Sitting position is dirt bike style, not touring style. The highway bar/footpegs can help here to add another position.

Stock handguards are windsails and create turbulant air so take them off.

Consider the fork brace

The front fender is another windsail. People have stabilized it with metal spines and lots of other things. Lower is much better for open roads.

The sprocket change is a good idea to lower overall RPM. This will affect your off-roading, but if you did plan to have dirt rims/tires you can just have the regular tooth sprocket mounted on the dirt rear rim. Might have to verify that the same chain will function on both, but I think it will.

It's a tough call for sure and you'll just have to keep going over it in your head and working out the concept.

Offer the guy $200 if he'll let you borrow it for a week. You can at least see what the stock bike is like for a weeks worth of trips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you're going to commute 5 days a week, buy an EX500 used for like $2500, and have a dirtbike for weekends. the 500 is insanely comfortable to ride for extended periods due to the upright position, and gets the same 60mpg, but with a gallon less fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool....Advice....I thank U all......Thanks

Been doin alot of searching and seein a few mods.....Actually I cant stop looking at pics and searching.........Im thinking I can make it work.....I ran my GPZ750 street bike as a hard tail and drag bars and that was a nightmare...But after I got off it for the day I still smiled.....Was only 20 mile round trip though.....Hitting a pot hole with that felt like an NFL punter kickin ya......Ouch..I swore so loud under my fullface......The 120 mile commute might not happen....Currently its my best possible job at the best hourly wage....But that gas money in a 4 cyl car still equates to $2.50 less per hour with gas per week.....

MajorMajor good plus for me is I see that there seems to be a KLR Fingerlakes Get together in NY.....10/19-21.....Not sure how many people go to it....But from what Ive read seems like a decent #..........Real nice thing is its 15 minutes from my front door......So Im hoping to see a bunch of bikes....And Im sure since its where it is that I should know somebody or friends of a friend.....I went to High School in the town thats hosting the meet....I knew alot of people in that town...Back 15 years ago..

Thanks peeeps

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm probably the exact opposite from TheWanderer. I've done a SS1000 on the stock seat, like the stock windshield, the stock bars are about perfect to me, I don't notice much vibration, the front fender causes zero sail action and I cruise at 75-80 mph actual speed. I put over 20,000 on mine inside of a year.

To each his own. The nice thing about the KLR is you can turn it over pretty easy if you don't like it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts