Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!
First post here. I have a 2006 KLR 650 that I am the proud second owner of.Previous owner did a good deal of mods. One of the mods I can deal without is the LOUD Big Gun exhaust. It is way too loud for me to be in NYC with due to the crack down on loud pipes.

I have the full exhaust and would love to keep the header pipe if I could find one that bolts up to it.

Is there any legal pipe that is within the legal sound level range?

Anyone? Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Fmf Q4 is the way to go. Call me tomorrow and ask for Paulo. 510 889 7900

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
The seller didn't include all the original stuff? Shame on him.
Even a farkled bike should come with all the stock parts.

The cheapest way to quiet it down is a takeoff stocker off Ebay. Those are dirt cheap.
Supertrapps with all the discs installed AND the baffle are a good aftermarket muffler,
and also tuneable for airflow matching with the intake and carb mods, if any. Legal too.

One thing I've never been a fan of is ultra loud pipes. Three HP to annoy everyone
around. The horsepower gain is almost never worth the tradeoff of losing the
low-end grunt and torque where these engines really shine anyway. Hadda White
bros. E-Pipe on my DR650 and it was back off within a week. Big waste of $185 !!
I've seen the drag pipe guys with earplugs too. That's impressive. Loud pipes
may save lives, but loud horns and paying attention do the job better. Sorry about the
rant. A few dudes make us all look bad. Pipes with a bark sound cool, don't get
me wrong. It's cool when a motorcycle sounds like one and not a lawnmower.
Let's just keep it in check here fellas unless ya live and hang in unpopulated areas.

Enjoy your bike and life to it's fullest,
CheapMark

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts

A couple of posts showed up while I was typing, then unloading groceries,
then finishing typing. Forgot about the Q4. Very popular on this site.
Also, put up your jetting sizes and needle setting, idle screw position, and
the guys'll set'cha right up. The jetting and carb are probably fine with
Paulo's setup. It flows great and isn't obnoxious from what i've read and
learned about it here.

Lata,
Cheeeeeeeeeeap

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I just added an FMF Q4 and the power bomb header but the muffler will fit on the stock exhaust (as shown on the video) and I can't see any reason it wouldn't fit your header. I love it as it's not too loud but sounds better than the stock "fart pipe" imho. Here's a video of my bike with the FMF pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zGpI0U4mAk

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I called Big Gun today and found out that they have a packing good for up to 50hrs and a vortex insert that will help me hush my bike a bit. I ordered both and will be putting in next week. I will let you know what I find with the new packing.

thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
You could sell the BG and buy a used stock exhaust then modify it with the Low Buck mod or leave the stock exhaust alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I read lots but don't post much. Tomato,could you tell me what the Low Buck mod is please? I remember someone saying they cut out the baffle with a hole saw but don't remember the size. Is this the same mod?
KiLleR

·
Registered
52 Posts
Big 10-4 on the Q4! If you are going to stay with an aftermarket can the Q4 is not that loud and has a nice sound. I installed one on mine a few months back and really like it,

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Hi, I read lots but don't post much. Tomato,could you tell me what the Low Buck mod is please? I remember someone saying they cut out the baffle with a hole saw but don't remember the size. Is this the same mod?
KiLleR
You have the right idea. I have not completed this mod (yet) but I am considering it for the 2003 KLR though it is a 650 with a stock head and really does not need less back pressure. This 650 has very good power even with a 16T and I like aircooled VWs so the sound is soothing.
I checked my Favorites and don't have the link but it is at one or all of the KLR or Adventure forums.
DCardoza has completed this mod and was going to be my mentor for the mod. If you do it right the mod will include a USFS approved spark arrestor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts