Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I hope you do better than me. I am pretty dang well protected, but the knees and hips...I think I may start being better about it. Motorcycles are way more fun than wheelchairs. :ashamed0001:

·
Registered
127 Posts
All right...so the update on the Icon Knee protection.

It feels great. I love having it on. There is just one problem - I can't lift my pants over them from the bottom, which means that I have to pull my pants down to get them off. This becomes a major production at work (going to bathroom, etc), so for the time being I'm only wearing them when I go on rides other than work.

This is not, however, the solution I was looking for.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You try wearing them outside the pants?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did not yet. I'm not sure how silly that looks with slacks/dress pants. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going down that route. :(

Have you ever worn them on the outside to work? :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I did not yet. I'm not sure how silly that looks with slacks/dress pants. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going down that route. :(

Have you ever worn them on the outside to work? :)
Yeah, before I got lazy. Wear em on the outside. Doesn't look as silly as no kneecaps. You finally made me feel like a big enough hypocrite that I'm gonna start wearing mine again. Thanks. Seriously. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I guess you're guilting me into making sure I wear the proper protection as well then. :) I'll at least try it for a few weeks and see where that leads me.

The only other thing that bugs me is that my work is only 10.5 miles door to door. It takes me 15 minutes or less to get there, but it takes me over 3 mins on each end (before and after arriving) to take my equipment off. It just feels like overkill, though as you say it's better than not having a kneecap anymore. :ashamed0001:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, that was always my reasoning, too. A lot can happen in even a mile, though. And especially on routes we take a lot. Aside from armor on the legs (which I'm gonna work on), I wear everything every time I ride.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I finally got my back ordered pair of EVS knee braces and they are just a hair to small to get over my calves. :mad0235:

They are the biggest size of them I could find anywhere and of all the fatty parts of me I could try or pretend to fix my calves are freaking pure muscle from holding all the fat up so that wont be changing anytime soon.

Also, got my REALLY sweet mesh pants that I don't need anymore. I LOVE them but not sure I can justify keeping them now that I'm not riding any big trips. I think I will heal up and not push it during work season and wait till nov and shoot for baja 1000.

·
Registered
127 Posts
... and wait till nov and shoot for baja 1000.
Going off topic now (learning from Lockjaw), but have you been to the Baja 1000 before? how crazy is that place during the race? I'm across the country in Maine, so it's quite a long distance (can't find the time off work) but I've always wanted to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My experience with riding pants is the the knee protection is designed to protect the front of the knee from debris in the riding position. I wear motocross paints and the knee protection is at my shins while standing but in the correct spot when riding. I cant speak for other styles of pants but every pair of MX pants I have owned over the past 40 years of riding have been the same as far as I can remember lol key word here is remember!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Going off topic now (learning from Lockjaw), but have you been to the Baja 1000 before? how crazy is that place during the race? I'm across the country in Maine, so it's quite a long distance (can't find the time off work) but I've always wanted to go.
Uh oh.... :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Never been but have been building an interest the last couple years as my interest in getting a DS bike grew. From what I have seen/read it has a nice following of 50,000 or so spectators that head down. I know I need to step up my game and really get comfortable riding dirt if I do want to go. Don't worry I will take tons of pics for you!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts