Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get some 17in supermoto wheels for my 08 klr. I have narrowed it down to 2 options.

1. Buy the rims and spokes to lace to my stock hubs from radmfg. Comes out to about $650 but id have to get them laced which is prob 75 a wheel.

2. Buy pre build wheels. I found some warp 9s. Not to familiar with cush drive? Need to research that more. But they are about $900 and ill still have my stock wheels which id like to keep nobbies on. I like this route better.

any suggestions would be great. Anyone else got the motard set up on their klr?

wont let me post the url to their sites

Thanks
chuck

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi Chuck!
Couple of things....You won't be able to post pics or urls till after you have posted 15 times. It is an anti spam measure of the site.

You MUST have a cush hub on pavement to dampen the shock load in the driveline. There are documented cases of extreme wear of the output shaft splines if a solid hub is used on the street. On the dirt there is enough tire slippage to eliminate the shock loading.

On the rims a company called Woody'sWheelworks deals in this stuff. There is a KLR rear complete listed on their EBay store at $800. Not cheap for top line gear. Interesting to look at.
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm
http://www.ebay.com/sch/woodyswheelwork/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Obviously you won't be racing a KLR in SM so I would get the rims and lace them to your hubs for the most cost effective solution.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i need to get these 15 post up so i can get these urls up. The warp nine comes with the cush drive for 100 more

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You do not have to have a cush drive. I have had 3 DS's without them. It decreases the rotational mass by quite abit which is nice. But the ride isn't as smooth, or should I say linear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks guys i think im going for the radmfg just need to get them laced to the stock hubs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anything else ill need? Stock brakes will work or just rims spokes nipples and tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm works when i click on it. Its pretty much the two rims and spokes i picked out from radmfg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts