Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going through my 97 since I bought it a month ago. I did the doo, replaced the clutch, fork seals and boots. Just the normal stuff with a used bike. The last thing I had to do was adjust the valves, well here is the problem. The bike seemed to run fine before, the exhaust side was pretty ticky. So thats why I figured to check them and adjust. This is where the problem comes in. The intake was almost at .006, .005 close to the tight end of range, no big deal. When I checked the exhaust was at .012 at gear end and .019 at other end. I lifted the intake cam out journals and lobes were perfect, like a mirror. The exhaust center journal was gone, the machined bearing in the head was not there.

So my question to you is, will a head from a 2007 fit my 1997. I found a perfect one on ebay. Plus I will need to get cams also. Are the cam specs on the newer KLRs the same as the older ones, my clymer manual just has general specs.

I really want to get this fixed by the weekend.

Thank You for this informative site, it has been a great help.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
It all interchanges. The '07 head will work. BUT. Before you get froggy with the "buy it now" feature, can you post a few pic's of the head situation you are seeing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, Here are some pics, when I got the exhaust cam out and looked at the second journal lube hole it was filled with bits of the saddle. I took off the cam gear and got the piece out by pushing it in the the cam, a bunch of thread locker and the tore up saddle came out. Do you think this could have been like this from new, with the thread locker plugging up the oil hole?

The head I am looking at is $375.00 Plus $65.00 for the cams all this is off a 07.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
The only gotcha' I can see is to be sure the flea bay head has the original cam caps ( the upper parts that complete the bores). They are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
OK, Here are some pics, when I got the exhaust cam out and looked at the second journal lube hole it was filled with bits of the saddle. I took off the cam gear and got the piece out by pushing it in the the cam, a bunch of thread locker and the tore up saddle came out. Do you think this could have been like this from new, with the thread locker plugging up the oil hole?

The head I am looking at is $375.00 Plus $65.00 for the cams all this is off a 07.

I would take it to a good machine shop and see if there's anything they could do for it. Shouldn't cost anything for an opinion...

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, My cylinder head is destroid. I saw one on ebay.
My KLR650 is 2006 but the ebay head is from 1992. Do you think will fit My bie?
Best Regards:
Jose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts