Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise. OK, yeah, another thread on diagnosing a noise.

I first heard this noise back on my trip ‘round California, but I thought it had gone away.

Here’s the deal – when starting up normally in first gear I hear two distinct clunks as I let the clutch out. Under normal start-up they are separated by about a second or so.

The noise sounds like a “shuck”…”shuck”, or a “clunk”…”clunk”. The noise is very similar to the noise that I associate with shifting from first to second, only softer, if that helps characterize it.

When I was on the trip ‘round California and first noticed it we were in heavy traffic and I actually thought it was Dave shifting into second behind me.

I don’t always hear the second clunk. Occasionally I can feel sort of a shudder or vibration, very light, as the clutch gets fully engaged.

Theorizing, could it be that the clutch plates have some play on their shaft and are slipping into final position? Would the shudder be indicative of the clutch going south? The bike started this at about 12,000 miles. That seems short for clutch life. I’m generally easy on the bike, but have worked it pretty hard off-road. Might’ve sustained some sort of damage.

I use Rotella Dino oil, and have since the bike was new. The oil currently has about 500 miles on it.

Any thoughts or theories would be appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
257 Posts
First and easiest thing to check would be the condition of the cush drive. Pull the wheel and sprocket carrier and see if there is any rubber left.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have a noise. OK, yeah, another thread on diagnosing a noise.

I first heard this noise back on my trip ‘round California, but I thought it had gone away.

Here’s the deal – when starting up normally in first gear I hear two distinct clunks as I let the clutch out. Under normal start-up they are separated by about a second or so.

The noise sounds like a “shuck”…”shuck”, or a “clunk”…”clunk”. The noise is very similar to the noise that I associate with shifting from first to second, only softer, if that helps characterize it.

When I was on the trip ‘round California and first noticed it we were in heavy traffic and I actually thought it was Dave shifting into second behind me.

I don’t always hear the second clunk. Occasionally I can feel sort of a shudder or vibration, very light, as the clutch gets fully engaged.

Theorizing, could it be that the clutch plates have some play on their shaft and are slipping into final position? Would the shudder be indicative of the clutch going south? The bike started this at about 12,000 miles. That seems short for clutch life. I’m generally easy on the bike, but have worked it pretty hard off-road. Might’ve sustained some sort of damage.

I use Rotella Dino oil, and have since the bike was new. The oil currently has about 500 miles on it.

Any thoughts or theories would be appreciated.

Tom

Is the clutch slipping at all? Kinda hard to burn up a KLR clutch I would think unless one really abused it off-road. A shudder would indicate a clutch problem, have you checked and lubed the cable? Lever feel normal?

Could be the cush drive I guess. Grab the sprocket and see how much play there is. The cush mostly just softens aburpt transitions to the rear wheel. Once you're moving it's not much of a factor unless it takes you a long time to shift!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Huh. That's weird. You mean when it's already in gear and you let out the clutch it makes that noise, right?

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh. That's weird. You mean when it's already in gear and you let out the clutch it makes that noise, right?
Yup, the noise occurs as I'm riding away from a stop.

The cush drive seems OK.

The clutch doesn't slip, the lever feels normal, there's no binding in the cable.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ok, I have no idea (big surprise). I have empathy, though! Sorry man. This is a weird one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tom, I am going out on a limb here and say there is nothing wrong with your bike. I have two 09 KLRs, mine and the wife's and both make what I call a chug, chug or a shuck, shuck when you are taking off from a dead stop. When I first got these bikes, after spending 30 years on touring bikes, I thought these things were coming apart. Actually mine shuck, shuck, shucks each time I take off. They sound like tractors until the rpms are up a little.

Greg

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom, I am going out on a limb here and say there is nothing wrong with your bike. I have two 09 KLRs, mine and the wife's and both make what I call a chug, chug or a shuck, shuck when you are taking off from a dead stop. When I first got these bikes, after spending 30 years on touring bikes, I thought these things were coming apart. Actually mine shuck, shuck, shucks each time I take off. They sound like tractors until the rpms are up a little.

Greg
Hey Greg -

Yeah, it's not the 'KLR noise' - the chug-chug-chug thing. It's a soft clunk (sounds like a 'shuck', for lack of a better way to spell it) and there are only two of them.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Countershaft spline looks ok? I'm grasping at straws here, just throwing it out there. Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,
Stew

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beer's at Tom's!

I'm there
Come on down! It's not far...

Well, listening very closely on the way home, there are actually three clunks.

Riding around in front of the house with no helmet on, it sounds like it is coming from the back. I can find no obvious play in any wheel bearing or in the swing arm. The cush drive has a few degrees of play in it, and a wee bit of lateral wobble if you tug at it.

We all know how deceptive sounds can be and the sound might not be coming from the back at all, but one has to go with the obvious, so I'll be looking at the cush drive, I guess.

The clutch theory may hold some water, but...

"Remember Occam's razor" Tom said sharply.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Tom,

This is a long shot, but, have you inspected the chain for bad links?
Actually, not that much of a long shot.. I'd pull the rear wheel and check all the links for smooth rotation.. Double A is going through this right now.. His chain/sprocket set is only 14K old and the chain has 3 spots that bend around the front sprocket with a lot of resistance.. He was having issues with surging and also chain tension.. Too tight/too loose/too tight/ and all without any adjustments being made..

I'd also stick it up on a lift to get the rear tire off the ground and run it slowly up through the gears while standing next to the bike to see if you can find the noise..

I stuck a new chain/sprocket set on my bike last night and was amazed at how much quieter the drive train was over the old set at 21K miles.. The countershaft sprockets teeth were being pulled around.. Much better now, and really quiet..

Remember to check the simple stuff first..:)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Come on down! It's not far...

Well, listening very closely on the way home, there are actually three clunks.

Riding around in front of the house with no helmet on, it sounds like it is coming from the back. I can find no obvious play in any wheel bearing or in the swing arm. The cush drive has a few degrees of play in it, and a wee bit of lateral wobble if you tug at it.

We all know how deceptive sounds can be and the sound might not be coming from the back at all, but one has to go with the obvious, so I'll be looking at the cush drive, I guess.

The clutch theory may hold some water, but...

"Remember Occam's razor" Tom said sharply.

Tom

2 words - ear plugs!

I can't stand riding without plugs. I start listening to all the noises and become concerned. Not saying there's not something wrong with your bike but if I tried to investigate every noise it makes I wouldn't be riding much.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spec -

I did fail to mention that the noise goes away when the MP3 player is plugged in. That may be the ultimate solution.

Nearly went mad this morning, because now I can hear all sorts of clunks and clacks and rattles and ....

Mark and Paper - Looking at the bike last night, as I was pushing and pulling on the rear wheel and swing-arm, I checked the chain for wear. It's not too bad and the sprockets look good. Under normal circumstances I would be thinking of looking to replace it in a few more thousand miles.

Installing a new chain and sprocket set will do no harm, though, and isn't going to be a waste of money. At the very least, it will eliminate one potential area.

What are recommendations on chains? I haven't bought a chain in the last 20 years.

Tom

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Spec -

I did fail to mention that the noise goes away when the MP3 player is plugged in. That may be the ultimate solution.

Nearly went mad this morning, because now I can hear all sorts of clunks and clacks and rattles and ....

Mark and Paper - Looking at the bike last night, as I was pushing and pulling on the rear wheel and swing-arm, I checked the chain for wear. It's not too bad and the sprockets look good. Under normal circumstances I would be thinking of looking to replace it in a few more thousand miles.

Installing a new chain and sprocket set will do no harm, though, and isn't going to be a waste of money. At the very least, it will eliminate one potential area.

What are recommendations on chains? I haven't bought a chain in the last 20 years.

Tom

I've used Rocky Mt.'s Primary Drive chain and sprockets for years on dirt bikes, good stuff!

I put a set on my 08 KLR about 13k miles ago and they're holding up at least as well as the OEM. Rocky Mt. split up the site and the some of the dual sport stuff is on Jake Wilson but I can't find KLR sprockets anymore. I know they make them...

Anyway here's the chain I bought: Primary Drive ORH X-Ring

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I bought a RK Xring chain and sprockets from "dirtparts" on eBay, item # 330345245848. The set was $87.99 plus $9.50 shipping, and it was sent very fast.. Put that auction number in and you'll see the same auction and there's over 10 sets available..

You are bidding on a complete RK Chain Kit for your machine. This kit includes the highest quality chain and sprockets available today for your ATV. Kit Includes RK 520 XSO X-ring chain for maximum durability and ultimate strength. X-ring technology insures least amount of chain stretch and maximum oiling protection. Rk chain also offers a one year warranty against breaking and stretching, what other manufacture offers that?? Kit also includes both front and rear case hardened steel sprockets, so you can stop changing your sprockets like your underwear! This auction is for standard gearing, other gearing options available please email with needs. DONT BE FOOLED BY OTHER AUCTIONS OFFERING NO NAME CHAIN AND SPROCKETS!!!!
$9.50 shipping to 48 states, all others please email for price quote. As with all our other auctions, all parts are brand new in original packaging. Bid with confidence

Item Fits: Kawasaki KLR 650 90-07 Gearing 15/43-106 link

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Paper -

That looks pretty good. Can you comment on the brand and/or the quality of the sprockets?

I'll likely go for a kit.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Tom,
They're a steel Japanese sprocket with something about a Sun on them, but they're not SunStar.. It was a sprocket brand I'd seen before, but I can't think of it.. I'll check tonight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts