Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 klr 650 with only 1600 miles on it. Last weekend I went and did some hard trail riding with my brother and all was fine. A couple days later I was riding to work and it felt jerky. I had steady throttle but it kept jerking. Then a couple days later I went to ride again but this time when I rev it once it gets to around 3,000 rpm it starts to die. It idles fine but the second you start reving it just starts dying.

I've checked the fuel line and doesn't seem to be blocked, not really sure we're to start.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
346 Posts
The usual troubleshooting steps.

1. Check for fuel. Loosen the carb bowl drain screw. Make sure you get a shot glass or so of fuel draining out. If yes, then apply mouth suction to the vacuum hose to the petcock and check for continuous fuel flow.

2. Check for spark. Connect the spark plug wire to a spare plug and ground it against the engine. Make sure you have a bright spark.

Report back.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Has anyone been inside of that carburetor since it was brand new?

Have you inspected the air filter?

Have you refilled the fuel tank since the trail riding the other day?

Do you still have your owners handbook?

The needle Jet / jet Needle combination will not 'clog up' in a of couple days!

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Drain the carburetor into a clean glass jar to check for water or other contaminates.

One step at a time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drain the carburetor into a clean glass jar to check for water or other contaminates.

One step at a time.
Hi, so I drained the card float bowl and sprayed some carb cleaner in there and it starts up and runs fine now. Not exactly sure what was wrong but it's finxed now.

Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts