Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new battery for my KLR 650, I rode it to and from work 2 days in a row everything was running smoothly. On the third day I went to turn it on but all I heard was a click, then the lights turned off. I took out the battery and put it on a charger just to see if the battery was drained for some reason but it was full. I checked the fuses but they are all reading fine. Please help I am new to this arena and don't really know anything about fixing motorcycles.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Your battery is dead. Have it load tested.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You may have neglected to use a socket wrench to finish tightening the terminal bolts. Unsecured connection can glaze/insulate the connection.

If you have properly filled & charged & then re-charged this new battery, I'll suggest that you should wire brush the cable terminals and the tops of the battery posts. Then be certain to finish tightening the bolts with a socket wrench, not just a screwdriver!

Then once engine has started and running smoothly at low idle speed watch to see if the headlight 'Brightens' as you rev the engine a bit to confirm that the alternator is capable of maintaining battery charge.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
As a test . . . JUMP your battery with a known hot battery (e.g., one from an automobile or truck) and see if the bike starts. If so; reckon you've a bad battery (as Tom suggests) or a loose connection (as pdwestman postulates).

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I haven't been able to find the problem
On Gen 2 bikes, the MAIN fuse is under the RED plastic cap of the starter solenoid under the Black plastic cover alongside the LH side of the carburetor. The Visible fuse facing left in the rubber holster at the bottom of the solenoid is the SPARE Fuse.
One must squeeze the clips on the side of the Red Plastic cap to disengage terminals & expose the fuse.

Gen 2 bikes have numerous places that are known to chaff wires & burn fuses.

But, are you 100% certain that your battery is Good?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts