Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just adjusting rear shock and must have gone too far because it jumped clear back to "1" and now it wont adjust anymore. How do i fix this i dont have to replace shock do i?:confused:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you talking about the top bolt (for preload setting on spring) or the damping setting on the bottom of the shock? If it's the top, you may have broken the bolt, It won't really hurt any thing but you will not be able to adjust it any more. If it's the bottom dial for damping, you should be able to continue turning it and it will click to the next setting. Keep in mine on both adjustments, there is only one way you should be turning them. The top both should only go clockwise and the bottom dial only to the right > . If you go all the way to the 4th setting, it should start over at 1.

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
MongoNv-

Is this on an '08? It was a known issue on the first Gen2 bikes and Kawasaki fixed it under warranty.

You definitely should try the warranty route, as a new shock will be required if the adjuster snapped. An expensive proposition.

If Kawasaki won't honor a warranty claim (due to the age and it being out of warranty) then, depending on your weight and riding style, your options are to find a stock shock or go for one of the aftermarket units.

The shock is different on the Gen2 bikes; I don't believe that a Gen1 shock will work. The bottom clevis and bolt are different.

Anybody know if the above statement is absolutely true?

Tom

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
Gen 1 and Gen 2 shocks are swappable but I think you need the corresponding bolts to make it work.
Good to know! Gives MongoNv more to choose from if he decides to go the stock route.

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bike is a 09, and i bought it in march. I believe it has a one year warrenty? When i was adjusting it i wasnt sure if it was maxed out or not so kept turning when it dropped all the way to 1 now it just turns and does not adjust. Can you just replace the bolt? If so how big of a job is it? Thanks for your responses.

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
Spec -

Thanks for that. I learned something.

It's a good day now...

Tom

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
the bike is a 09, and i bought it in march. I believe it has a one year warrenty? When i was adjusting it i wasnt sure if it was maxed out or not so kept turning when it dropped all the way to 1 now it just turns and does not adjust. Can you just replace the bolt? If so how big of a job is it? Thanks for your responses.
MongoNv -

You should be good with the warranty claim on that '09, and that's the route you should take. I'm surprised it happened on an '09; thought they had fixed it mid-production on the '08s.

Take a look at Spec's link so that you can see what has probably failed.

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone. i like how everyone jumps in right away with advice and help on this forum. this will be 15th post i am going to try to post some pics

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
MongoNv-

Hey, we live to see pics! Post 'em up!

I can't believe I've always thought that when the adjuster failed it was because the bolt snapped...

Tom
Tom

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I recently attempted to stiffen up my rear and the bolt is just turning as well. Seems like my adjuster has slipped.

How difficult of a job is this? I've never removed a rear shock from a bike. Thanks

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I recently attempted to stiffen up my rear and the bolt is just turning as well. Seems like my adjuster has slipped.

How difficult of a job is this? I've never removed a rear shock from a bike. Thanks
With a stand an an extra pair of hands, it's really easy. There are some good tutorials if you search, too.

But, trust me, if I think it's easy, you could probably do it by intuition. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just did this repair to my shock the about two weeks ago. The problem is spring compression. I used my hydraulic press and a lot of bailing wire to keep the spring compressed. The rest of the repair is easy. Just push the washer back in and hit it with a punch to crimp washer in place. I greased mine up as well so it would work more smoothly. Removal of shock is apiece of cake. I found a good youtube video so you might want to search for it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Cool, thanks guys!

Next question: Is it better to just buy a whole new aftermarket shock?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Cool, thanks guys!

Next question: Is it better to just buy a whole new aftermarket shock?
A better aftermarket shock makes a HUGE difference. If you got the scrilla, do it. :35a:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I haven't even looked. What brands are there and how much they run? Thanks

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I was lucky enough to get gifted one by Masterlink.

I think a Progressive (what I have) would run you 300-350.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts