Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

New to the forum, recently purchased 2001 KLR 650 w/ 12,000 miles in great condition. I have put on a Corbin Dual Platform Seat on it (pretty disappointed in how little this made a difference!) and still a bit tall for me. Short of putting on the lowering links I have is there anything else I can do to make it fit better? I am 5'7" and 140# and a 31.5" inseam. I have the dampening set at 1 and the shock at 0 or 1 (can't remember but the lowest setting).

Thanks in advance.
Bill

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
5'7" is a stretch. Pun only somewhat intended. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That wasn't very helpful. Let me try again. I don't think at 5'7" you will get the bike to where it feels safe and comfortable. But I may be wrong. I'm 6'2" and put my foot down in some gravel yesterday. Foot slid some. If I had been shorter the bike would have been on the ground. It's a tall ass bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, not exactly the kind of advice I am seeking.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That's cause you're asking for advice that doesn't exist, in my opinion. You know what your options are. Personally,
I don't think you can make the bike comfortable for someone who is 5'7". But have at it. A lot of info about lowering on this and other sites if you look for it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You probably need the dished corbin which drops the rider about 1.5" down to 33.5" if I recall correctly. Add the lowering links for another 1.5" down to 32" and you should be able to at least get the balls of your feet touching with a 31.5" inseam. Don't forget to adjust the forks as well. After this, you'll probably need to bump the shock back to 5 or you'll be bottoming out non stop.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Welcome to KLRforum. You have a fairly common inseam or close to it. Part of the problem with the DS seats is the width being wider. I know you are not in the area but Corbin allows one adjustment. A couple months after I bought my Corbin seat I had it Nosed or narrowed and this helpd. I am 6' with a 32" inseam. Call Corbin and see what they can do to help you.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I didn't see the inseam note, sorry...you got long legs. You can get a few inches off the bike for sure. I wasn't trying to come off as flip before, I truly think most people who are 5'7" would not be happy on this bike, but you might be able to pull it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another option would be tall heeled shoes.I see many woman riders with raised heel boots to allow them some extra length.I would think someone makes raised heel boots for men.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You probably need the dished corbin which drops the rider about 1.5" down to 33.5" if I recall correctly. Add the lowering links for another 1.5" down to 32" and you should be able to at least get the balls of your feet touching with a 31.5" inseam. Don't forget to adjust the forks as well. After this, you'll probably need to bump the shock back to 5 or you'll be bottoming out non stop.
I guess one of my main questions is this idea of bottoming out. With some dirt bike experience I understand the concept.

My thought is that as a 135# rider, even with the lowering links, what is the reality of bottoming out during normal (commuter) riding? Forest Service road rides? Single track/off road? I guess I am wondering what is my 135#'s going to do to this bike as it seems to do very little just sitting on it.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't see the inseam note, sorry...you got long legs. You can get a few inches off the bike for sure. I wasn't trying to come off as flip before, I truly think most people who are 5'7" would not be happy on this bike, but you might be able to pull it off.
I appreciate your candor. I am glad I didn't say what I thought when I saw your previous comments.

I rode around a vacant factory lot today and felt very comfortable riding it. Sure I have to do a little shuffling once in a while but nothing major. I think that I am going to throw the lowering links on and see what happens. I think that I will be happy. Just need to find some advice on lowering the front after I lower the rear with the links. Thanks for the advice.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I didn't mean to offend. Sorry. I hope you get the bike the way you want it. I sure like mine.

I think the boots thing is a good call, too. I have some engineer boots I wear sometimes. I usually wear armored riding boots. Definitely makes a difference to have the thick sole and heel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No offense taken. Will check into the boots after I lower it and see how things fit. Cheers.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
azcanyondreamer -

Once you get the rear lowered an inch or so, try sliding the fork tubes up the triple tree by an inch or so. It should be easy to do. Release the pinch bolts, top and bottom, slide the tubes up,and re-torque the pinch bolts. The only thing you have to watch for is that you don't get the tubes twisted, but as long as the front wheel stays on that's not too much of a problem.

I think that, at your weight, you're not going to have any problem with the rear bottoming out. Just get the damping right.

I've never done this, so can't offer any practical tips as far as any trouble that might be encountered getting the forks to move in the clamps.

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know the math regarding the kickstand after I put the lowering links on and drop the front? Just take it to a welder or motorcycle shop and eyeball it?

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Best to just eyeball it and whack it off. The math is easy. Accurately measuring how much you actually lowered the bike, and then calculating the change in length of the hypotenuse, is more trouble than just taking a hacksaw to it. For $50-$70 you can get a shortened kickstand - check e-bay and the usual on-line vendors

The other alternative would be to look into putting a center stand on. The new ones have a rocker foot, so they are actually easy to use. I've been thinking seriously about the utility there. Centered stands for lowered bikes are available from the usual suspects. Happy Trails has a new one that will be available soon - looks pretty jake to me.

When I have had bikes with a center stand, I always used them. I kinda miss having one on the KLR.

Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts