Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took the engine out of my bike disassembled it swapped the transmission for a pre 2008 transmission. I then added a kick start assembly to my 2016 klr. I then went through reassembled everything double and triple checked the timing of the cams put it all back together and back in the bike but it won't start. My carb is getting fuel the vacuum tubes are working I'm getting spark I can smell a bit of fuel from the exhaust. It just won't start any advice is appropriated.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well if you're getting spark, perhaps your not getting fuel. Try dribbling some gasoline in the mouth of the carburetor and then try starting.

Jason

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Well if you're getting spark, perhaps your not getting fuel. Try dribbling some gasoline in the mouth of the carburetor and then try starting.
Or, . . . squirt some STARTING FLUID into your carb intake and give 'er a try!

You need, compression (you have that; you can feel it with the kick-starter), spark (you've SEEN that), and . . . a combustible mixture (starting fluid insures that component). If it runs on starting fluid, but not on its own fuel, then . . . you have a fuel mixture (as in, carburetor) or fuel delivery (as in, closed petcock) problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When you're changing you plug, put about a teaspoon of fuel directly into the cylinder.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
When you're changing you plug, put about a teaspoon of fuel directly into the cylinder.
Not a bad idea, but . . . don't think liquid fuel burns just by itself (needs some oxygen). Starting fluid is pre-atomized, mixed with air, and combustible. (Keep fire extinguisher handy!)

·
Premium Member
8,882 Posts
I'll ask if your bike still has the electric starter on it?

Is the KACR still attached & properly operable?

If so, what have you measured its CCC at with WOT?

Does your engine still have its battery powered Gen 2 TCB Ignition system on it? Or did you convert to Gen 1 CDI?

Reactions: C model

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll ask if your bike still has the electric starter on it?

Is the KACR still attached & properly operable?

If so, what have you measured its CCC at with WOT?

Does your engine still have its battery powered Gen 2 TCB Ignition system on it? Or did you convert to Gen 1 CDI?
So I've been working with souperdoo on a lot of this I still have my gen 2 ingition system on my bike, along with the starting motor. They both work fine checked them several times. Per souperdoos guide I ended up wiring in a switch to use the kick start with.

The KACR is still on and working fine.

Honestly not sure what CCC and WOT stand for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or, . . . squirt some STARTING FLUID into your carb intake and give 'er a try!

You need, compression (you have that; you can feel it with the kick-starter), spark (you've SEEN that), and . . . a combustible mixture (starting fluid insures that component). If it runs on starting fluid, but not on its own fuel, then . . . you have a fuel mixture (as in, carburetor) or fuel delivery (as in, closed petcock) problem.
So I bought a can of starer fluid the bike started running but not well I'm thinking I messaged up the counter balancing a bit and I'm gonna go in and check it again. The bike was running on really high idle and pretty sure I was buring oil. So have some work cut out for me this weekend.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Just an aside . . . in my view, the Kawasaki specifications for KLRs with operational KACRs is WAY too wide (range excessively broad) to be of focused diagnostic use (without previous data). A better test: Leak-down test. (Controversial opinion, I know; but: My opinion and I'm sticking to it! :))

From previous post; understand bike ran (albeit poorly) on starting fluid. Does it run at all on its tank gasoline? If not, combustible mixture (as in, carb) problem, I should think.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not a bad idea, but . . . don't think liquid fuel burns just by itself (needs some oxygen). Starting fluid is pre-atomized, mixed with air, and combustible. (Keep fire extinguisher handy!)
Has worked for me since I learned the trick from a fellow restorer of vintage bikes. Works best on a single cylinder bike, but I have done it on the 2 outside cylinders of a 4 cylinder with success as well. Even first started my Dad's 1914 Model T Brass Radiator engine that I had rebuilt for him. YMMV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts