Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and am looking for some help with a gas leak on my '94 A8. Anyway, last year I rebuilt my petcock and discovered a gas leak after reassembling the tank etc. The leak seems to be coming from the two mounting bolts for the petcock. I did use a new petcock gasket and new nylon washers when I put everything back together. Was I supposed to seal the threads of the bolts before installing them, or is there something else I'm missing? I'd just like to know where I went wrong so I can repair it correctly. Thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The only thing I can think may be wrong is that one bolt was tightened to tight before the other one was tightened down.Let us know what you find

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for replying. I guess it's possible that the bolts were tightened unevenly. So are you saying that I don't need any thread sealer on the two bolts? If I didn't mention it before, I did use a new o-ring and I thought that I also replaced the two nylon washers for the bolts, but I'm not sure. Is there a torque spec on the two bolts or some other tips for avoiding a leak like this when I reassemble everything? Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
603 Posts
You should'nt need any thread sealer on the bolts.I would just take it back off,make sure all the surfaces are clean,and reassemble it.You may have pinched an o ring or the gasket.Then tighten up everything evenly.There are probably torgue specs somewhere,but just tighten them up snug,you should be ok.

Happy trails
:character00201:

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Unfortunately, I've been working a lot of overtime lately and haven't been able to work on the bike. I'll give that a try as soon as I can. I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Mike has it right, sounds like you didn't get it aligned right, or tightened one side too much too fast, or maybe some trash got between the gasket.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm with stupi..... the other guys.

Yeah, take it apart. And try again.
sometimes when a gasket is over tightened it will squirt out and cause a leak. You sound like you have an Idea of whats gone wrong. But you wont know exactly, till it's apart...

good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts