Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated, did the doohickey, and thought I had a dead battery. Got a new one, and the same thing. It’s like something is binding.

pulled the outer cover to check the gears, but the weird thing is when I pulled the cover the gears shafts were in the cover. Put everything back, checked to make sure the gears turned and by spinning the crank bolt. All seemed fine.
Put the cover back on and the same thing.
Pulled it apart again, but not sure what to do.

thinking it has to be with the starter gears.
I watched many videos, and followed everything to tee.

The worst part of this is, there was nothing wrong with my doohickey or the spring. Wishing I would have left well enough alone.
But, I gotta fix this now.

Any advice is appreciated

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
The gear reduction cluster assemblies have ONE thrust washer on each side. IF one accidentally installs 3 thrust washers onto EITHER shaft, the outer cover pinches TOO Tight on that cluster gear to be Able to turn anything.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, thanks man!!!

that was the issue. Not sure how that even happened. I tried to keep everything I pulled out as 1 unit. But the top gear had 2 washers on the back, 1 on the front the bottom one had no washer on the back and only one on the front. All is correct now and it fired right up. IT’s ALIVE!!!

thanks again, gonna put the rest back tomorrow and place the old battery on a charger as a spare, since there was nothing wrong with it.
Hoping the gasket holds, I did install a new one originally, but it’s been off a few times now.

· Premium Member
867 Posts
G2G, that's a common mistake that's easy to make. Glad you got it fixed.
The people on here and their experience are brilliant. Can anybody tell me how to heal faster lol.
Yep, start taking Moringa leaf powder. Since you're 'down' at the moment, look up the benefits and you'll be amazed. It's one of the most nutritious plants on the planet and classified as a "super food".

Moringa is also known as "The tree of life".

Best wishes

· Registered
2016, 500 miles but adding up quickly, lowered pegs, fancy mirrors, thermobob soon.
147 Posts
G2G, that's a common mistake that's easy to make. Glad you got it fixed.

Yep, start taking Moringa leaf powder. Since you're 'down' at the moment, look up the benefits and you'll be amazed. It's one of the most nutritious plants on the planet and classified as a "super food".

Moringa is also known as "The tree of life".

Best wishes
Bought some so we shall see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts