Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I just want to say I love the forum. I'm a brand new KLR owner and relatively inexperienced rider. I had a sport bike 10 years ago, but this is definitely different. I can answer most any question on here and it's great.

That being said...I've got a problem. I just removed the plastic and painted the (new to me) 06 KLR and when I put it back together...I can't get it to start. The electric start just does nothing. No turning over...just silence. The only electrical items I tampered with were the signal lights, which worked fine after I got the plastic back on. There is a small box with 2 screwed near the clutch lever that I disassembled and put back together....but I haven't figured out what that is just yet. Again, I'm no mechanic by any stretch.... but I would like to start my bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
You may have taken apart the clutch safety switch.

That one switch can be the cause.

When you pull in the clutch lever that switch allows the starter circuit to deliver juice to the starter.

When you DON'T pull in the clutch lever that switch allows the neutral switch to work. I.e. break your clutch switch and the neutral switch won't work and the starter won't turn.

IIRC the clutch safety switch has a bit of metal that slides back and forth between 3 contacts. (It's been a while since I looked at one.)

If you dropped that little bit of metal, you can short around the switch and see if it starts. You can do that with the left-most plug under the cover between the tach and headlight. Short the blue w/red and black w/yellow wires. THIS WILL LET YOU START IN GEAR so be careful.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Solid maintenance considerations in Grinnin's post above.

Otherwise, not trying to blow you off, but:

http://www.buttonhome.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=25299&g2_serialNumber=3

This wiring diagram and a multimeter should locate any problem.

I think the Clymer service manual has a good description and schematic of the starter circuit. The circuitry is a little complex; a starter circuit relay must be engaged by safety switch logic before the actual starter relay can be activated.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts