Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
It's 4 bolts... 馃槅
Busting your balls a bit.
Moving the mounts forward a bit is totally different than rotating the bars forward. All kinds of factors dictate the rise, pullback etc. It's worth trying.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's 4 bolts... 馃槅
Busting your balls a bit.
Moving the mounts forward a bit is totally different than rotating the bars forward. All kinds of factors dictate the rise, pullback etc. It's worth trying.
Haha!!! It's 6 bolts. Have to loosen the big holder bolts below the upper triple clamp.

Hey I'm enjoying the bike with the new to me tune remember? Who wants to wrench when the bike is running so well!

Since you threw this down, I might have to man-up and just do the change up this weekend!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I flipped my lower bar clamps:
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Then rode it on trails, standing, a lot of climbing. Did it make a difference? A little bit and it's noticeable, but not as much as I was hoping for. It's easier to shift under power, easier to hang on going uphill if I lean forward. But not a game changer. Was it worth the effort....I suppose. 馃槙

Registered
I just did Sec 1 of NEBDR. At the end are some tight, steep rocky up hills and down hills. But I was just hanging on, I could not get neutral enough to use my legs to shift weight like I wanted to. I'm thinking straighter bars but then how will that negatively effect down hill or regular riding. I guess it's all a compromise. One thing I have come to learn, technical slow speed uphills, you really don't need any fingers on brake or clutch as it's all throttle control. So at least it lets you use your whole hand to hang on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
One thing I have come to learn, technical slow speed uphills, you really don't need any fingers on brake or clutch as it's all throttle control. So at least it lets you use your whole hand to hang on.
Yeah it's not ideal. Climbing and your legs locked in to help you "hang on" limits your body movements and bump absorption. I try to sit down some on smoother terrain but I hate the way that feels...like I don't have a lot of control of the bike. Like the others said, a big part of this is the foot peg position, and not necessarily the handlebars. At this point, I can deal with it. After a long trail ride with a lot of climbing though, my arms and hands do get sore. Going downhill for me is perfect with just the .70" bar rise I got from the Pro Taper 1 1/8" bar adapters.

Registered
... Like the others said, a big part of this is the foot peg position, and not necessarily the handlebars. ...
Keeping that in mind, while slabbing home on some hilling roads I was trying standing on the balls of my feet. I typically stand on my arch so my heel lock against the peg and I can work the rear brake. Gotta work on that one

Registered

I did a hill even worse in the mountains of North Idaho, not exactly by choice. I was riding my BMW GS1200 adventure and started up a hikeing trail that got steeper and narrower as I went. Pretty soon it was too late to turn around and no way to do so on a 600lb bike. I just stood on the pegs and worked my way up what became a dry creek bed full of boulders. After what seemed like eternity, I crested the top and there were 2 4 wheelers sitting there. They ask me..."Did you just come up that creek bed on that Bike ? I told them yes but not by choice...lol

21 - 27 of 27 Posts