Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order some new tires for my 09 KLR and not sure what to try. I have the factory Dunlops on it now and and they seem to suit my riding pretty well, would like to have something comparable to the on and off road performance of them. I ride the bike about 100 miles a day checking oil and gas wells. I ride about 75% paved roads and 25% mud, dirt, and gravel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can't go wrong with Dunlop 606's if your going to hit that dirt, mud, and gravel.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
You can't go wrong with Dunlop 606's if your going to hit that dirt, mud, and gravel.
Excellent choice, from all I've heard of the 606's!

A little lower down, at least budget-wise, I use Kenda K270's.

I feared reported knob-folding on pavement turns, but . . . pumping up the volume gradually, I've found the roadability in the twisties much more robust than I imagined.

Don't propose racing a sport bike through the Dragon with K270's, but--I think they'll pretty much hold their own in reasonable paved highway scenarios.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm running the Shinko 244's. They are a 50/50 tire and they work well on the pavement and in the dirt. I've been on all kinds of dirt surfaces from river crossings to stupid rocky single track hills and they grip very well. I've also scraped pegs on the street with them and never once slipped. I got about 3500 miles on them so far and the front has a LOT of life left. the back one is nearing the end though. I'll probably be able to squeeze another 700 miles out of it. They're really cheap, I paid $95 for the first set and $54 shipped for another rear that is sitting in my garage waiting to go on. I've heard the stories about the knobs breaking off but that hasn't happened to me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If it wasn't for the mud I'd say shinko 705.
Since you'll occasionally get into loose stuff the Shinko 244 rear would be a good choice. I really like pirelli mt21's on the front. They stick great on and off road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran through the stock rear K750 with only 2200 miles on the tac and replaced it with a 244. Rear 244 was excellent on gravel and some dirt, but have loss four center lugs and splitting on several others running tire pressure at 28psi for 2800miles...seems to be the consensus on knobbies for prolonged pavement travel. With gravel, mud and a little pavement 244 seems to be a good choice and you can't beat the price.

I have a set of Kenda k761s on order now due to my commute. You may even check into these with comments about acceptable gravel performance and longevity.

birddog

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Are ppl saying to run higher pressure or lower pressure with the Shinko's?
It sounds like everyone is having good luck with their customer service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Savage I believe, from what I've read, 28 to 30 psi is the recommended pressure range on the 244s.

As far as the service from Shinko, when i called they advised I needed to bring it to my dealer and have it sent back to the factory...this was going to take an estimated "5 to 8 weeks" for the turn around, so I ordered a set of 761s...Can't wait that long!!!!!!

birddog

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ya I'd buy something else and then send it in.
I'm running the rear 244 on my lightweight street legal KLX300. It doesn't do as much asphalt as the KLR so I'm not too worried about it chunking treads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly!!! send her back and then get a fresh 244...if i only had another 17 rear wheel to mount it on because i loved how the 244 hooked up on hard pack/loose dirt....Got a MC camping trip planned in about two weeks at Perry Lake, KS and would rather have the 244 for the ATV/Moto trails might have to ride on some missing knobs till then.

birddog

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You're riding a KLR @ Perry? Have a good skid plate!
Never tried a t63 so I can't tell everyone how crappy they are. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
My 244 chunked all the center knobs under 300 miles, and is real mushy in the turns. Im a pretty aggressive rider and maybe ask too much outta Shinko. Ive posted this before and its worth mentioning it again, you can get Michelin T-63s delivered for about 20 bucks more than Shinkos!.... Motorcycle superstore has them on backorder right now but they should be in soon. NO-BRAINER if you ask me......

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ok, I am looking ahead. I want a tire that handles on road at least as well as the stock tires. I want a tire that handles off road better than the stock tires. I want a tire that lasts as long as possible and runs less than $100 per set if possible. If you have gotten great wear....at what tire pressures? To me, great wear is 6k-7k on a rear and 10k on a front.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Again, the Scorpions are excellent tires. I wouldn't wait for the stockers to wear before replacing them, those tires are squirrelly pieces of garbage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do the D-606s handle on the street, they look a lot rougher then the factory tires? After riding a 900 pound Honda this thing feels like a sport bike so I tend to get into the turns pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The rear can hang OK. I would highly suggest using the mt21 on the front and not the 606. The mt21 does much better on and off road. And you can flip the tire when it starts to wear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How do the D-606s handle on the street, they look a lot rougher then the factory tires? After riding a 900 pound Honda this thing feels like a sport bike so I tend to get into the turns pretty hard.
I followed a guy with 606s who had no problem putting the pegs down. I'm not quite that brave with them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts