Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that go to the .net forum-or anyone else. Go read about battery charging....learn something. They poo-pooed me but then someone else posted....

Jim

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
For those that go to the .net forum-or anyone else. Go read about battery charging....learn something. They poo-pooed me but then someone else posted....

Jim
Could you please provide a LINK (URL) to the thread you reference, Jim?

At least, identify a FORUM, and a TOPIC, so the thread can be found?

To capture and transmit a link, go to the thread in question; HIGHLIGHT the address at the top of your screen on the address bar; COPY the address; then . . . post it (i.e., PASTE) on this forum, so we can see what you're talking about.

(Not that anyone DOUBTS your account of discussion on .net.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.klr650.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Sorry - you got there before I did. I have been trying to tell folks this for years and they looked at me as if I was nuts! Couldn't convince them that a charger did NOT put electrons INTO a battery. Looked up battery charging on GOOGLE today and it tried to convince me that a charger forced electrons backwards thru battery....WRONG! They won't GO backwards....

Thanks for how to make link - wrote notes, maybe I'll remember.

Jim

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
...Couldn't convince them that a charger did NOT put electrons INTO a battery....
Well, that just shows how stupid they are. Everyone knows that a charger is putting magic smoke back into the battery. All electrical stuff runs on magic smoke and when the battery runs out of it, or you let the smoke out from somewhere, nothing will work until you fix the place where the smoke got out or you put more smoke back into the battery.

There are a few good people over there, but the rest of them - sheesh - they have no technical expertise.

T

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, that just shows how stupid they are. Everyone knows that a charger is putting magic smoke back into the battery. All electrical stuff runs on magic smoke and when the battery runs out of it, or you let the smoke out from somewhere, nothing will work until you fix the place where the smoke got out or you put more smoke back into the battery.

There are a few good people over there, but the rest of them - sheesh - they have no technical expertise.

T
I've heard that magic smoke is good stuff. Anyone know where I can get some? :doublethumb:

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
New batteries come full of the stuff. My F-250 uses the largest battery commonly made for passenger vehicles. It's got enough magic smoke to do Woodstock all over again.

T

·
Registered
417 Posts

Jim
Not so much of a poo-poo, it's just that:

1. No one except rocket scientists found it very interesting;
2. As long as the bike is rideable, we are out riding not discussing what would potentially happen to a battery if Saturn's rings tilted this way or that;
3. Like another guy posted: I'll compare this to an oil, tire or battery thread. I try not to participate in those either.

I hope that isn't more poo-poo, but them's the facts, Jack.

Er, Jim...

(Plus it's boring stuff.):lala:

·
Registered
417 Posts
You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think.

Ben Franklin said that.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think.

Ben Franklin said that.
The relevance of the quotation eludes me, Dan Diego, but . . . no matter! :)

I found Jim Sizemore's query valid, and the posts by Norm informative and . . . I confess, INTERESTING! (One forum member helpfully pointed out to Norm the significant difference between Generation 1 and 2 ignition systems, overlooked in Norm's post; Norm handled the correction gracefully.)

Regardless, the snarky/snide posts on the thread seemed uncalled for, to me.

"People sometimes hate and fear what they do not understand."

Damocles said that.

:)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh, c'mon, I'm just giving him a hard time. Being snarky and what not.:pot:

He posted something he found interesting and then called us out for not also finding it fascinating. :nono:

I just wanted to note that not everyone gushes over boring electrical stuff. But I have nothing against those who do. Geeks deserve respect, too.

:high_five:

"People sometimes ignore what Damocles writes."

I said that.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
"People sometimes ignore what Damocles writes."

I said that.
WHAT??????????

Ignore my irrefutable wisdom and unassailable logic?

I'm crushed; CRUSHED!

Clarifying, my comment about "snide/snarky" posts referred to those addrsssing Jim Sizemore's query, Dan Diego, not yours; those appearing before you posted on the .net thread yourself.

I'd distinguish the battery charging discussion from a "tires or oil" thread, myself. Tires-and-oil talk involves personal OPINIONS, largely; Jim Sizemore's thread instead addressed a universal issue, BATTERY CHARGING, and the discussion tended toward FACTS, not opinions.

A forum, by definition, to me is a place where ideas may be discussed freely, as Jim Sizemore and Norm did (a minority viewpoint, perhaps). And, as you point out, forum posts can be ignored, even my own jewels, like this one! :)

I respect your opinion regarding the quality of posts on .net; in my opinion, Jim Sizemore raised a valid question relevant to a motorcycle forum; YMMV.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts

I found Jim Sizemore's query valid, and the posts by Norm informative and . . . I confess, INTERESTING! (One forum member helpfully pointed out to Norm the significant difference between Generation 1 and 2 ignition systems, overlooked in Norm's post; Norm handled the correction gracefully.)

Regardless, the snarky/snide posts on the thread seemed uncalled for, to me.

"People sometimes hate and fear what they do not understand."

Damocles said that.

+1
When you are sitting beside the trail or in your garage with a broken bike don't come looking to us nerds on the forum to help you fix it. We will be out riding!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1
When you are sitting beside the trail or in your garage with a broken bike don't come looking to us nerds on the forum to help you fix it. We will be out riding!
Regards....justjeff
Jeff, if a nerd from Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada, comes and rescues me on the trails of Baja California, Mexico...well, I'm impressed!:poke:

However, if you just want to drone on and on for 14 paragraphs about electrically-charged ions...well, I'm gonna handle the push-start myself.

While I do appreciate your advanced knowledge of all things geeky, I'm just not that into it. You understand, right?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Ventured over there to see what it was all about.

I find it interesting that there are people who need to control what is said on forums, i.e. they have to disparage topics they don't find interesting, as well as the persons engaged in those topics.

And in doing so they resort to rather mean spirited ad hominum attacks on the OP.

T

·
Registered
417 Posts
The OP posted on the "other" site and didn't get the response he was hoping for (same response he got here) so came over here to muck rake.

Ah, I'll let the retiree do his thing....

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Jeff, if a nerd from Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada, comes and rescues me on the trails of Baja California, Mexico...well, I'm impressed!:poke:

However, if you just want to drone on and on for 14 paragraphs about electrically-charged ions...well, I'm gonna handle the push-start myself.

While I do appreciate your advanced knowledge of all things geeky, I'm just not that into it. You understand, right?
So why don't you just absent yourself from the conversation and leave the rest of us in peace? Go find what you ARE interested in and play with THAT.
jj

1 - 20 of 31 Posts