1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like, "the other forum," ".net," is under cyber attack:

KLR650 Only Thread...... | Page 989 | Adventure Rider

Posts # 19762, 19765.

I deplore the violence launched against what I assume is a legally-operated privately-owned website; however . . . I do not feel led to contribute any money to that website's recovery/rehabilitation. Bad luck, but in my view: The administrator/owner assumed some risk in operating his profit-making enterprise. The website is NOT, "Mother Teresa's KLR Motorcycle Forum."

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind!

Site is down, Glenn's response to, "Denial of Services" attacks.

The post referenced above on ADV has been deleted; perhaps because solicitations for other websites are against ADV rules (don't know whether that's the case or not). Regardless, .net didn't even permit the URL of another website; much less a solicitation for money for another forum!

Not to engage in schadenfreude, enjoyment of others' misery; assuming Glenn's website is a legally-run, privately-owned enterprise, violently shutting it down ain't right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am active participant on the .net site. I can assure you a couple things. 1) Glenn aint getting rich off that site. 2) While there is always rivalries between similar sites, I have never personally read any bashing or criticism of this site, or any other forum.

I have made a contribution to the .net site's recovery efforts and hope Glenn gets it back up and running soon. Until then, guess I will have to hang out with you clowns a little more :wink2:

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2) While there is always rivalries between similar sites, I have never personally read any bashing or criticism of this site, or any other forum.
Glenn will not allow even the URL from another forum (like this one) to appear on his website. Further, Glenn will not allow the URL from any vendor to which he disapproves to appear on .net. In both these cases (other websites, vendors Glenn dislikes), the URLs automatically appear as xxxxxxxxx in post text.

If Glenn doesn't "get rich" off his website (I imagine advertisers pay good money), wonder where his money comes from; does he have a day job? Expenses may be minimal, at least, with perhaps free room, board, and laundry at his parents' house.

Certainly, anyone's free to contribute to Glenn's cause; however--I view the website (.net) as a commercial interest whose purpose is to turn a profit for Glenn's benefit. Nothing wrong with that; I think it's called, "free enterprise." Charity contributions can be directed to .net, to enrich Glenn, or alternatively to St. Jude's Children's Hospital, etc., etc. Donors' choices.

DISCLAIMER: Nothing justifies a cyber attack disrupting the KLR forum, ".net."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Holy crap! I assume either you were booted off of the .net site, or somehow got sideways with Glenn. Your comments were both ignorant and insulting.

Given you're one of the regulars here, I now understand why the .net forum is so much more popular.

I'll patiently wait until the .net site is back up and running. Until then, I'll sign off from this forum and delete my logon. To the 30 or 40 of you that regularly hang out here.....enjoy yourselves.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Looks like, "the other forum," ".net," is under cyber attack:

KLR650 Only Thread...... | Page 989 | Adventure Rider

Posts # 19762, 19765........................"
I am confused by the link to a page at ADVrider.com. in the quoted post here. It appears that it is intended to be related to problems at KLR650.net, but I don't understand how it is related.

I did go to the referenced site and read their description of being under a denial of service attach.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I am confused by the link to a page at ADVrider.com. in the quoted post here. It appears that it is intended to be related to problems at KLR650.net, but I don't understand how it is related.

I did go to the referenced site and read their description of being under a denial of service attach.
GoMotor - It's explained in post #2 in this thread.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I had a read of the emergency page. Almost had coffee got through my nose.

Glenn asks: "PLEASE BARE WITH ME".

I don't think I'm getting naked with Glenn but I will bear with him.

While bear with me is a request for patience or tolerance, bare with me would be an invitation to undress, which is clearly not the intended meaning.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
GoMotor - It's explained in post #2 in this thread.
Well, now it makes sense if you know that the part that makes sense has been deleted so that it doesn't make sense.

I never cared for the censorship on the other site, but on the other hand I respect personal property rights, so I quit thinking about it because it made my head hurt.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap! I assume either you were booted off of the .net site, or somehow got sideways with Glenn. Your comments were both ignorant and insulting.

Given you're one of the regulars here, I now understand why the .net forum is so much more popular.

I'll patiently wait until the .net site is back up and running. Until then, I'll sign off from this forum and delete my logon. To the 30 or 40 of you that regularly hang out here.....enjoy yourselves.
Insulting? Maybe! Ignorant? I don't think so. Nothing untrue or erroneous in anything I've posted above.

Further . . . hate to disappoint you, but . . . I've never been banned from .net. We had a guy on this site once who wrongly insisted the same, but . . . he ain't around no more, either.

May you, and to the other .net faithful who send money to restore and to rehabilitate Glenn's privately-owned, for-profit website, find what you wish there.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
You know, this probably wouldn't have happened if Glenn had put in a premium "For Hackers Only" section...

The hazards of a privately owned/ran website I guess! Luckily it's nothing that money can't fix???

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
I am currently denied the privilege to post a response or start a thread or view personal info or contact anyone over on .net (excepting those who have or do PM me, over there.)!
But I must admit that I had ample warning from Glenn to STOP cross-linking to my and other threads on this forum.
I started my 'project' over there, they didn't understand and couldn't show enough 'patience' to learn, Glenn's loss, imo.

But I do not wish him or the .net site any ill-will. I still enjoy reading/learning over there, also. But I will not contribute a donation.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Yeah, I'm mostly just kidding around in my post. Before I came over here I used to spend a lot of time on the .net site. That was before all the "premium access" areas were put into place though. Now if I occasionally check in over there I have a hard time navigating.

Also hoping that Glenn gets it righted, I know a lot of people frequent his site.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had excellent experiences on the net and have not seen any bashing. Maybe I just don't look in the right spot, but I'm not on there or any site to get caught up in such silliness. I just love the KLR and reading about others and their adventures, repairs and experiences. :grin2:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would wager that Glenn has made the mistake of offending Kim Jong Un............
I though they were one and the same. ;)

Seriously, taking down someone's site is against the principle of a free Internet. All points of view, even his, should be view-able so the relative merits or lack thereof can be determined by anyone interested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting happenings at .net to be sure. I couldn't remember my account here, so I started a new one. Didn't want to be a lurker. This is TW from "over there". I really don't have much time to spend online so I have been primarily active over there, trying to help riders take care of their machines. It's been a long time since there was a high profile user disagreement, and I'm not aware of any bannings. So I doubt this is a personal attack.

One has to wonder why? If this truly is a targeted cyber attack - it is a good one.

I don't know Glenn and have no idea what his business end is. As a moderator on the site, I've been privy to some conversations about the issues that go on behind the scenes and the effort Glenn puts in personally to keep it running. I don't believe Glenn has been successful at making .net profitable (or he'd have a site administrator to help him with stuff like this).

I made a contribution to the cause, as I have put a lot of work into creating procedures there, and was actively helping with some issues. I'd hate to see it all vanish, but only time will tell.

This is a wake-up for me to store my procedures somewhere else, like the Marknet page has done, and not rely on a forum to serve as the library.

I'm a KLR addict at heart and need my fix. So I figured I would check this place out and see what's going on.

Ethan

·
Registered
899 Posts
Maybe Glenn blocked so many IP addresses that he caused his own problem. I feel bad for the good people who used the forum but I can't squeeze out a tear for Glenn. All that squeezing just makes me fart.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts