Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a home desktop computer, and a company provided laptop that I use STRICKLY for work related use.. I keep all my personal stuff off the work laptop.. I'll surf for bike and gun stuff while sitting in my hotel room, but other than that, it's strickly for business stuff...

That said, I'd like to have a laptop for personal stuff.. I wouldn't carry it with me for work (I carry too much crap as it is) but I'd like to have a laptop to use at home, and also when I'm on bike trips I'd like to have internet access (if available) and when I'm in a motorcycle road rally I'd like to have my mapping programs..

But, I don't want a full size laptop to lug around.. So...

Are these netbooks up to what I want?? They're mostly under $300, small, light, etc.. Is the RAM expandable, as I see most are just 1GB??

Any light on the subject will be better than the darkness I currently have.. Yeah, I could ask this stuff on a geek forum, but what fun is that??:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 10 inch Acer from Costco, I love it. I travel with it and once you add Word you can use it just like your desktop. Yes it is a little slower, it doesnt have a cd drive but for the size you can overcome it's faults. I have read you can double the ram I never have.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My folks just got one. I'll check it out for you. If size is the deciding factor and you just need it for basic functionality, then I think it's a good idea. If you want a decent webcam, speed, etc. maybe not so much.

My bro in law is a programmer and he rails against these things, but he's not always right.

Really helpful, I know. :25:

·
Registered
815 Posts
HDD vs SSD (Solid State Drive/Flash) would be my concern for durability and getting better battery life. That Samsung is one of the nicest I've seen for the money though. Asus has a EEE1000 out with a 40gb SSD already in it, but it's about $600+. Amazon has that Samsung for $280 and free 2 day shipping. That's pretty hard to pass up. Add $114 Calgary 32gb Sata SSD and your still reasonable. Asus EEE PC T91 8.9" is probably the coolest netbook currently made because it can spin around and collapse for touchsrceen tablet mode and already has a 16gb SSD in it and can use 16gb sd cards. $529 on Amazon. Tablet mode is perfect for using it as a GPS. I've been keeping my eye on T91 prices for awhile. If the screen was transflective I would have already had one without hesitation.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!! I figure I'll shop for a while and see if the prices drop a bit after Christmas..
As I mentioned, I'm mostly after something to do some research and get emails, and run my mapping program on occasion. No webcam use, and as a KLR rider, I'm cheap and want to keep the cost to a minimum, while still getting what I want in a reliable package (sound familiar?)

Most that I'm looking at are the standard 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, etc.. Basically, I was told by a guy who's actualy a Best Buy Geek Squad worker that if you're used to using a computer that was made 2-3 years ago, you're golden.. Guess what?? That's what I'm used to.. LOL

I'll keep looking, and I know I get an extra discount at work if I buy it through our IT guys at work, through Tigerdirect.. And, shipping is free and there's no tax if I send it across the border to Wisconsin (where I work).. And TD is only a bit over an hour from me, so anything I order will be there the next day..

Thanks again, everyone!!

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Paper-

I have an Acer Aspire One and really like it. It goes on all my road trips.

It came with Windows, but I added Ubuntu for a dual boot capability and use that almost exclusievely.

Windows is good to have, though, for Mapsource for my GPS.
The keyboard is a bit cramped for heavy duty work, but fine for browsing and e-mail.

I'd recommend a 160 Gb hard drive model, and the memory is usually cheap and expandable to 2Gb.

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
A few of my friends have the Acer models and love them.
We did a 10000 mile four week trip to Alaska last June and they worked great.
A lot easier to use and carry then my full sized laptop.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My 11 year old daughter just bought a Gateway Netbook LT2032u. Most of them all run the same Intel Atom processor with 1gb ddr ram. Performance wise it's about the same as my 3 year old laptop but it's harddrive is 3x larger with 240gb. Size wise it is a little crammed if you're planning on doing a lot of typing but otherwise perfect for web browsing. It came with Windows7 starter. Whatever unit you get be sure it has the 6 cell battery. A lot of them have 3 cell batteries to lower the price of the unit. It will run about 6 hours on a charge. The best my laptop would do is 2 hours.
This is the same basic unit but with a 160gb harddrive and 3 cell battery. The one we bought was on sale for $280 before Thanksgiving
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Netbook+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Atom%26%23153%3B+Processor+-+NightSky+Black/9568639.p?id=1218125775468&skuId=9568639

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, thanks for the help everyone!! I ended up order a 250gb Acer from TigerDirect.. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5265618&CatId=4949
It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but since XP's soon to not have support, I decided to go with 7 and the extra cost that comes with it. When I compared it to most of the others in the same price range, it was as good or better than all..

Should be at work around 10am on the UPS truck.. Since my boss ordered a 47" TV from them today, also, it'll be a fight as to who's package will come off the truck first..

We're only an hour from the warehouse for TD, so everything arrives the next day. :)

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
MS OS Rant... hehehe

For the record.. xp doesn't need support anymore. With SP3, it works fine and is pretty rock solid. Windows 7 is just reworked Vista and will need all the help it can the next few years. Big part of my business lately has been downgrading Vista to XP and I imagine that will apply to Windows 7 also, we'll see. It's just like Microsoft to finally get an OS built solid and then ditch it. Windows 2000 Pro was the best OS ever made in the history of MS to date. It was simple, no foofoo, never crashed, and never told me what to do. XP came around and, for a while, was a clusterF and, after many years, got fine tuned in to a pretty solid reliable OS that will remain for a long time as people will cherish their XP compatible machines until the chips rot. Vista/Windows 7 is mostly just a bunch of added worthless foofoo that has no real function. I seriously doubt they rid Vista of all the constant crashing and lockups enough to justify even calling it a new OS. I've heard just as much about W7 crashing and locking up which will be the norm until all the other software gets updated, just like what happened with Vista, nothing was compatible and MS is a bunch of liars for saying W7 is more compatible. Just like their "XP MODE" that is really just a crappy excuse for an emulator that will run slower then W7 and is not available on the home version. W7.. the new plague! We'll so though.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
While I'm certainly not a real computer whiz, I've always kind of figured that if you're running today's machine with yesterday's OS, you're going to be happy.
The latest and greatest machine always seems to have just barely enough ooomph for the latest and greatest OS.
XP works well on my ACER, but I still rely on Ubuntu, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Open Office.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess, but I've been running Vista for a long time and basically, the only thing I do is do an occasional restart every couple weeks..

I was seriously temped to go Apple when Vista came about, but got cheap and bought a scratch and dent Dell with Vista on it.. Once it got through the updates, that first day, I've been very, very happy..

On the other hand, I don't ask much of an OS.. Run what I want, and don't crash, and I'm happy.. I'm happy with Vista..

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I guess, but I've been running Vista for a long time and basically, the only thing I do is do an occasional restart every couple weeks..

I was seriously temped to go Apple when Vista came about, but got cheap and bought a scratch and dent Dell with Vista on it.. Once it got through the updates, that first day, I've been very, very happy..

On the other hand, I don't ask much of an OS.. Run what I want, and don't crash, and I'm happy.. I'm happy with Vista..
I agree though I was happy with XP and did not want to change to Vista. After the Vista upgrade I was pleasantly surprised and happy. I am going to Windows 7 to keep up with the upgrades. $50 an upgrade (Costco pre-release purchase) is much cheaper than $200 and upgrade. I also considered Apple as in Mac Air.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I will agree, any OS is going to run fine if you never task it enough. All the stuff I do pretty much rendered VISTA useless, all it ever did was hang up, lock up and complain with it's useless error dialogues. Worthless pile of dung is what VISTA is.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far, so good... Actually, I can't see much difference between Vista and 7.
Man, this is a tiny keyboard, though..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only 32 more critical updates to load... Hee hee...
I wish it'd hurry.. I wanna go snowmobiling..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts