Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never let your guard down!

I used to belong to a MS safety forum, but got kicked off. This would play better there. But anyway. Was coming home today...things have been shitty lately...I was riding more aggressively than I should have been (which ain't all that aggressive...I got a baby). But I was following too close...something I NEVER do. And bitch at my wife all the time about. Anyway, all of a sudden the car in front of me shits a broom...a big one...it was facing the direction I was going with the whisk facing me. I missed it by inches. I don't know what would have happened if I had hit it...maybe nothing, but I am sure glad I didn't find out. Especially in a turn.

You only get so many times to be lucky and stupid. I just used up one more of mine dammit. ;)

Anyway, I thought the reminder might help someone else out. It sure straightened me out quick.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good post.

Would there be a benefit in a topic such as "Safety" "Close Encounters" etc?

I almost lost the Victory in a gravel corner Sunday. I knew the gravel was there and knew I was at the top of the speed envelope but I had my head in a dark place........

·
Registered
507 Posts
Lock,

I've always been one to stay back from the vehicle in front but it could be linked to the following quick tale.

In 1981 I was headed west on 80 somewhere in Nevada when a boat and trailer traveling east came loose from it's tow car. The tongue dug in and the boat & trailer (like slow motion) flipped end for end. The wood sedan style boat shattered into a thousand pieces. I was safe because the medium separated us. But I never forgot that boat, I'll bet the person had no more idea what was about to happen than I did.

I stay away from everything especially loaded pickup trucks with stuff on the roof of the cap, trailers etc. Never trust that something isn't going to go wrong, ever! I've been riding the highways and byways since 1973 and have seen enough crazy stuff to convince me that I'll see more the next time I ride my bike or drive my car. Remember it wouldn't be any better if the ladder off the roof of a truck came through your windshield of your car or pickup would it?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Why not have this thread be the near miss thread? It's got a great title!!

You have be on your toes out there, that's for sure.

I've dodged couches, dead animals, other riders down, left turners, red light runners, code 3 police cars without a freaking siren on, crashed cars and all sorts of things over the years. I still to this day (after over one million miles on a motorcycle) practice evasive techniques and near lockup braking on a nearly daily basis. I bet some people I've ridden with think I'm just nuts weaving around manhole covers at the last second...best thing to practice going around since you don't crash if you miss your marks. I've only been hit by a few birds and one ice chest lid...knock on wood.

:35a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it would be great to have a place where stories like these could go. I've seen some crazy stuff, but never an exploding boat. Wow.

Larryboy, so right. I've been lucky enough never to be hit with anything major (cigarettes, trash). But I practice swerves and quick stops all the time, too. And sometimes I'm really glad I do.

I miss being on the safety forum because it kept me honest. I still read it, but not as much. Having something like that on here would be good. Even if it is just a reminder...those pickups with lawn mowers and brooms and a million other things "strapped" down. Bad. People eating. Bad. Beat to shit cars...makes me wonder. Etc.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigIron...glad you made it. It amazes me how often I do something I know is a bad idea and then watch it turn out badly. Usually not on a bike, but still. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Made a new area for this. Good call on the new forum guy's.

MB4

·
Registered
507 Posts
The exploding boat still rates as the most memorable but I've seen other things that boggled the mind.

Larryboy, 1,000,000 miles! Jeez I thought I did a bunch. That's what moving to AK. will do to your riding, I went from 14K / year to about 4500 up here. The weather wins out on many days. I just can't get excited about heading out for a trip when it is bad everywhere and the weather map says that I'm screwed no matter how far I ride. Sometimes the rain moves in and stays all over the state (where there are roads) for weeks at a time.

It's not so much the riding as it is trying to set up a camp and break it down in the driving rain. I've done that too many times to do it by choice any more.

Keep an eye peeled

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel like I won an oscar! ;)

A whole new forum...and all thanks to a broom. ;)

And Larryboy...why don't you actually get out and ride sometime. ;) You got me beat stupid.

:11a:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Close calls today

Well, a couple of things happened today. First off, it's late February, not the usual time for motorcycles to be on the road here. It happens that we've had a spell of nice weather and the roads are mostly clear, but wet in places from melting snow. Side roads often have snow and ice, still. I was out doing errands (in the car) and watched a guy on his GSX-R about 3 cars ahead of me and in the other lane almost get hit by a truck. He pulled out from behind the car he was following into my lane and was almost sideswiped by a pickup truck that did the same maneuver just 2 ahead of him. The truck pulled right out in front and almost hit him. The truck didn't even slow down as it swerved out into the other lane.

Second instance, a couple of hours later. I decided that it was a good day to get a ride in myself. Last November, after a cold and snowy October, it cleared so I got to ride later in the year than ever before. Now, in February, it's the earliest I've ever ridden in a year. I took the chance to have my first ride on my new '09 KLR that I've had for 5 weeks. I started the ride with 1.4km on the odometer, not even a full mile. The bike is brand new so I was being cautious with the brand new tires, plus I'm obviously in the engine break in period. It felt really weird cornering. I had my 16 yr old daughter on behind me. I wondered if it was the new tires that made cornering so awful. When we stopped after riding a bit I discovered that my back tire was almost flat. Brand new, never been ridden. Luckily at that point I was in a grocery store parking lot with a gas station so we went and filled the tire. The pump had one of the long, 4" stems on it so it was very hard to get it inside the spokes and properly lined up to pump the rear. It drove fine on the ride home. It goes to show how important checking your bike over before a ride is, even if it's brand new. They'd been checked last month at the dealership when I picked it up. That was one item on the check list as I did the pickup inspection. I guess I'll watch that tire closely.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
MS=Microsoft?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i had my reminder this morning!!! up & on the road by 5:40am so still dark rained most of the night & temps dropped down around 30 degrees. i checked the local street before hopping on didn't feel any ice, but after a nice slide taking the 1st turn of the morning i was quickly reminded!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts