Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 96 KLR NUT from S.TEXAS.With Pictures

I know I know I should have done this sooner but I was not ready to throw up pictures as of yet as I know how important pictures are for the other Nuts on this forum lol.

At any rate I picked up a 96 Kawasaki KLR 650 that needed more than what I first thought. But that was my fault as I have not messed with these two wheelers in some time lol.

At this point in the picture what I have done is due to the bad shape for the plastics from sitting outside all of its life not to mention broken pieces and ground off parts I had to do some reconstruction of the plastics like the side panels and the rear fender area. After that I used Dupli-Color spray bed liner paint on them and the fairing. Along the way I had to fix and repair and or replace fasteners that looked like they only saw pliers used on them. And replaced many with stainless steel cap bolts. Other than that and a decent clean and an oil change is where it is at now. It runs good and does not smoke at all at anytime of which I think I can contribute that to the fact that the original owner put in the doohickie and the Thermo-Bob early in its life. As when I purchased it the OD said 33,OOO Mi on the dot but to be honest that no longer worries me as it runs so darn well.

Here is a picture of what it looked like when I picked it up from the Previous owner.

And here is what it looks like thus far.

To continue of what I have done and am planning to do soon and or next with probably lots of help lol.

I picked up a Black IMS 6.6 Gallon fuel tank I picked up one of those as that will fix the problem of the dented fuel tank and faded lower tank covers and also negate the need for those steel protection bars.

I will also be getting in the mail soon some more parts and a Clymer book to enable me to actually work on the thing lol.

So the so called plan at this time is when I have the book in my bloody,greasy,sweaty fingers and depending on usage and time I will replace the front gear from the factory 15 tooth to a 16 tooth and use the Prevailing nut by Mike's as the bike will mainly be used on the street and little 100Mi highway jaunts. Along with that I will be replacing the factory type of tires the Dunlop K750's with some Shinko 705's front and year.

I will also be throwing on some TUSK 7/8ths Aluminum ATV sport bend handlebars in silver as the stock bars are bent some.

Back to the Black IMS 6.6 Gallon tank. I plan to do that when I have to remove the factory tank to check the valve clearance and then order the needed parts from Eagle Mike's to not only accomplish the valve adjustment but also at least some heavier clutch springs. That way I can take care of those things on the engine and the fuel tank in what maybe one long operation lol.

Well that is all I have for now.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Bike looks good although I hate seeing pictures of green grass this time of year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike looks good although I hate seeing pictures of green grass this time of year.
Thank You on the Moped lol.

But how would you like to mow that grass almost all year round lol. You can look at South TEXAS as like a two edge sword. And that is we do not get a cold winter and that we do not get a cold winter lol. It is HOT probably 9 months of the year and the other three is how most would like it year round. :). In the summer it can be 105F during the day and 90F or so at night.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I jump into other stuff I just have to ask if anyone has dealt with Rocky Mountain ATV & MC? I ask since that is where I purchased the stuff from I listed. Well I placed that order on the 17th and it is now the 19th and all of it including the tires are here. Free shipping over $99.00. I know that is a bit much for free shipping but it was sure fast. :)

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I would love to cut grass year round. I'm well aware of the weather there as my nephew got transferred from Calgary to Houston. He like coming back here so he can breath. Finds it too hot.

As to Rocky Mountain ATV, great place to buy from. You'll find that a lot of folk get their stuff there. I do too if I can get someone to bring it back to Canada in a suitcase. They will only ship UPS to Canada which isn't a option unless you like giving them your pay check.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Before I jump into other stuff I just have to ask if anyone has dealt with Rocky Mountain ATV & MC? I ask since that is where I purchased the stuff from I listed. Well I placed that order on the 17th and it is now the 19th and all of it including the tires are here. Free shipping over $99.00. I know that is a bit much for free shipping but it was sure fast. :)
JesterGrin_1,
You ought to see the 'potential' freight charges if you Don't meet Minimum from some companies!! WOW!
UPS and Fed Ex have 'No Sympathy' for "small orders"!

I deal with 3 large distributors, one gives me free freight at $100.00.
Next, free freight at $200.00.
Third, free freight at $300.00.

Guess which one I do use the Most!
They do have the "best Catalogs"!

But if you are willing to pay the freight, I'll order it NOW! Little as $9.95 fgt.
Regular Ground, Express or even Over-Night! OMG!!!!!!
The 'last' over-night tire was over $40.00!!!!
Lander, WY is more than 25 miles from a commercial Airport!
Over-Night Air is not Guaranteed! IT may be 'next-day' and ZERO Apologies!
(How can UPS/FED EX) Guarantee to drive 40+ miles thru NYC traffic, to deliver OVER-Night air and can't/won't drive 32 miles of deserted Wyoming high-ways!!!!!!!!!!!
Maddening, to say the least.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to say I have no idea how bad shipping is in Wyoming.

But they do have what seems like cheap shipping of only $7.00 if it is under $99.00 at Rocky Mountain. Of which does not seem that bad.

But I am still flabbergasted at how fast they shipped the items to me. Maybe because it was my first order with them lol? But it is rare to receive items from anyone so fast much less having not to call to inquire as to where the items are lol. And by the way it was not just one shipment but 3. Two by Fed-Ex and 1 by USPS. And the one from USPS actually made it lol. And in one usable piece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts