Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read several recommendations here and decided to order the laminar lip. Now I'm interested in an aftermarket seat. A couple of folks recommended the Sargent. Anyone care to weigh in on their recommends. In advance:desismiley1:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've only got around five hundred miles on my Sargent low but I like it well enough. It's just been tooling around town and such, at most maybe 1.5 hours in the saddle once so far. The seat feels great for at least the first half hour, maybe more. On my slightly longer ride I started to notice the seat and had shift my weight a bit but it was fine, I'd like to take a three hour trip and report back but it will be a month before I do that.

I haven't had the bike very long and have really only put maybe 600 miles on it so far. I think the seat will become more comfortable to me as I become more familiar with the bike. I got it through amazon for $283. It got me a few inches closer to the ground (my bike's a little tall for me).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just spent that last few days researching seats. In the end I ordered from seat concepts. They have a kit, which you install yourself, for around $160. Or complete with pan for around 250. Robert at SC has been a great help answering all my questions. Including which density foam to install. There are alot of seats out there. Including customs. Do your research and ride on a few if possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Corbin and Sargent (If memory serves) both make a dished seat for those with shorter inseams. Of course if you have the dough, get a custom for the long range comfort.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
forgive me for sounding ignorant, but wouldn't the Sargent seat advertised for 304.95 on Amazon be a custom seat?
I think by custom he is meaning one specifically made for you. Sargent's and Corbin's (and even the Seat Concepts kit) are aftermarket seats, kind of a "one size fit's all" scenario. Custom's are fitted to you specifically to get you the most comfortable seat. :bike:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes 650stew thanks, my face is red. they certainly would have to know how big my arse is! advanced age and all, ya know. sliding hard to 71. :ashamed0005: when I went to custom seating it took me right to the performance seats, don't ya know. but still and all it only makes sense with the measurements. Been riding on stock seats only for a very long time. wouldn't know how to act on a custom anyway.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
yes 650stew thanks, my face is red. they certainly would have to know how big my arse is! advanced age and all, ya know. sliding hard to 71. :ashamed0005: when I went to custom seating it took me right to the performance seats, don't ya know. but still and all it only makes sense with the measurements. Been riding on stock seats only for a very long time. wouldn't know how to act on a custom anyway.
Riding a KLR at 70 is pretty darn awesome if you ask me! :)

I don't have any experience with the Sargent seat as I've never had one, but I hear they are awesome. I had the Corbin Dual Platform and didn't like it at all... Actually, hated it would probably be a better word! Lol! I have the Seat Concepts kit now, the regular height one and not the dropped one and I love it! It is a little wider for those of us with larger posteriors, makes it much more comfortable! :bike:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nothing to be sorry about Jedi. Custom is a self explanatory word in the m/c seat world. Tis I- Mr. dumb arse-there I beat you to it. :60:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I have both a Regular Sargent and Low Sargent I have put on 10000k on the regular and love it. I just got the low so don't have that many miles on it yet. A couple of things though....The low is not dished like the corbin. It is flat, so no sliding into the valley like I have heard some corbin owners complain of. It seems firmer than my regular Sargent but both are miles above the KLR seats for comfort. I think the low will soften a bit as I put more miles on which I am going to do right now!
Bye!....justjeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently put a Seat Concepts

seat on my KLR, and really like it. It is the lowered version, and for us short folks, really helps getting feet on ground.
It is much more comfortable than the stock one, and for me, I don't feel that it "pushes" me forward too much, like others have said.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I put on a Seat Concepts. Easy install if you have access to an air or electric power stapler. Much better than stock (mines's the tall one though).

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Wow! 10000k translates out to 10,000,000 miles! That must be some kind of new record aint it? That really is some riding right there!
And that was on just 10 tanks of fuel and one oil change! Those Imperial Gallons are gettin' bigger!
k is short for KILOMETER in :canada-flag-14: Canukistan Rusty!
jj

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the corbin dished , it was VERY comfy , but heavy and any time it rained the seam would fill up with water and get all over my leg , so i sold it and got a seat concepts low . I seam sealed the whole cover and wrapped the foam in plastic to prevent the water issue , but its not even close to as comfy as the corbin was . Just after i bought my seat concepts they came out with a commuter seat which looks a little more ass friendly .. maybe ill try it and see how it works . unless this seat gets magically more comfortable all of a sudden .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts