Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started my 2007 4 months ago, then let it sit and let my battery completely die... bad idea with the acid battery im told, so now im in the market for a new battery. I want to change to a sealed ETX15L Deka PowerSport Battery , problem is from the looks of the picture it has different terminals. Im not a sparky at all so I don't even know if it is possible to use or how hard it would be to change the connectors from the bike, or if i'm just over thinking it. any help would be great! thanks

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
While the cables may easily be altered to accommodate the replacement battery, if you're uncomfortable with the task, MANY replacement batteries with terminals requiring no cable alterations are available--you might go for one of those.

Don't know where you live, but . . . Wal-Mart's got 'em, as well as automotive parts and accessory stores (e.g., Advance Auto, etc.); sealed and conventional lead-acid . . . Cycle Gear has LITHIUM batteries.

Anyhow, you can check out application charts to find a battery of correct dimensions and cable terminal orientation.

You've picked a highly-regarded battery, but if the red-to-positive, black-to-negative connection is daunting to you, a more compatible battery might be preferred.

Although, here's what the manufacturer says about the "Big Crank" ETX15L Deka PowerSport Battery:
This battery is supplied with unique terminal hardware (2 spacers and 2 bolts for cable to terminal connection). This hardware is required for proper installation on certain applications. Other hardware may damage terminals and should not be used. The spacers are required for side mount cable installation only! The top mount position does not require the round spacers, use supplied bolts only. Torque bolts to 6 to 8 ft. lbs.
More info here: http://www.batterymart.com/c-kawasaki-kl650a-klr-battery.html

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
It will work fine with no alterations needed. I've got one in mine. Your cables/terminals will thread right into the top of the terminals just like they do now. As noted in the link Damocles provided above, use the bolts that come with the new battery.

The posts are threaded (probably some kind of steel/metal insert?) and you can't just grab some other bolt and nut to use like you can with the standard "cube/nut" terminals on a standard lead acid battery. Seems like it might be a hassle if you stripped out those threads by using a bolt other than the ones that are supplied.

The terminals just look weird because of the side cable option. It's been like a year since I put it in and I haven't touched it since and I'm too lazy to go look, but I think that weird red thing on the positive terminal comes off before installation: both terminals are basically just big lead blocks with bolt holes in them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
have you checked >> tristatebattery dot com ??? ETX15L Deka PowerSport Battery [ETX15L] - $64.95 ??

Yours have free shipping - wonder if TriState shipping is less than the $15 difference.
Got one for my '04 back in 2011 - no problems at all with fit, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts