Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed one on my KLR last year. I had a near miss with someone in a Honda Civic who turned across my lane without looking.
I'm pretty sure the larger disc saved me.

Terry

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the steel brake line, just need an SV left side caliper I guess . On the lookout for that.
Just came back from a little night ride and I'm very pleased with it

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I have the steel brake line, just need an SV left side caliper I guess . On the lookout for that.
Just came back from a little night ride and I'm very pleased with it
the caliper makes at least as much difference as the rotor does; I highly recommend it. Good news is that the rotor is the most expensive part of the upgrade

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
What brake disc is that? I got an EBC kit for my second gen KLR, and after installing the disc and the EBC bracket, the wheel no longer can rotate. Bit of a flaw.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What kit did you get? This is a very common mod and it works very well.

You either got some wrong parts or made an error in installation.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
What brake disc is that? I got an EBC kit for my second gen KLR, and after installing the disc and the EBC bracket, the wheel no longer can rotate. Bit of a flaw.
you didn't get your rotor from Eaglemike, did you? .....there are two rotors listed for the KLR and one has interference issues on some bikes. Call Mike.

Dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought the Tusk rotor kit. It came with an aluminium caliper bracket.
I could see problems with the aluminium bracket so I ordered the stainless EM bracket to replace it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As Dave mentioned, there are two EBC rotors out there that claim to fit a Gen II KLR. However, only one fits properly. Contact Eagle Mike for the proper rotor and caliper bracket.

Jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my kit from Procycle, recommended by someone I took a trip with. He had one on a DR650. I made it work with a bit of grinding. Disappointed in EBC though. They would not respond at all to any queries from the retailer or me. Just dead air. Wouldn't use their products again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for reccomendation. I looked at them but didn't know anything about them. I was offered a Warp 9 to replace the EBC, but I had already made the EBC work, with a little persuasion.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
GEN 1 - For the record; there are two EBC rotors listed for the KLR; the SM6309C which has reported clearance issues with EM's SV caliper adaptor and the SM6042C which does not. Easiest way to make sure you get the right one is to order it all from Eaglemike. All the people that have had fitment problems ordered the rotor elsewhere to try to save a few $$'s......which ended up costing them.

Gen 2 - 320mm rotor with the stock (relocated caliper) during my search to get these part numbers I noted that if you are using the 320mm rotors with the stock caliper, there is still obviously a bracket that is required to relocate the caliper farther outboard.....this bracket is steel from EBC and aluminum from Tusk as TerryG mentioned above so chose wisely.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you find the same rotor information for the Gen2? I found only one place (DennisKirk) that listed the SM6309C as applicable to a 2017 Gen2 (it is not). And I found no mention of the SM6042C. EBC itself does not list a 320mm for the Gen2, at least not for the model I have (650EHFL). It's possible/likely the UK model numbers are different, although the fitment is the same.

An EM bracket wouldn't solve anything. It's the disc that has the clearance problem. The EM site doesn't indicate the EBC part number for the rotor. The EBC bracket is now 7075 aircraft grade aluminum.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Did you find the same rotor information for the Gen2? I found only one place (DennisKirk) that listed the SM6309C as applicable to a 2017 Gen2 (it is not). And I found no mention of the SM6042C. EBC itself does not list a 320mm for the Gen2, at least not for the model I have (650EHFL). It's possible/likely the UK model numbers are different, although the fitment is the same.

An EM bracket wouldn't solve anything. It's the disc that has the clearance problem. The EM site doesn't indicate the EBC part number for the rotor. The EBC bracket is now 7075 aircraft grade aluminum.
This is from the first EBC site I picked,

KL650E8F/KL650E9F (and UP because the E series front brake is identical for 2008-2018.)

SM6309C Floating Disc, 192.43 inc VAT ( The disc is at the bottom of the page, nuts.)
BRK018 Bracket, 56.78 inc VAT

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/klr-650-kl-650-e8f-e9f/2008-2009/37316

I did not know it was a UK site until I saw the price tag, I also did not think that the UK even recieved any E model KLR's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went to that site. I didn't know the E8F and E9F designations were US bikes. (I found Wattman's KLR history page and checked.) So even EBC got it wrong. Did Kawasaki modify the front brake caliper in any way, perhaps in 2014 with the New Edition? The info on the NEw lists the dual-piston brake as a new feature. Perhaps the caliper changed a little. I added aphoto of where the rotor hits the caliper, on the raised flange.

Be well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts

OK; EBC's website sucks and even finding catalogue information is next to impossible. I've checked OEM cycle, Pro-Cycle, Top Gun and Fort Nine; OEM cycle and Fortnine use EBC's part numbers and list the SM6042C for the Gen1 and the SM6309C for the Gen2. Both of the others just use their own numbers. Now the caliper adaptors are obviously different between Gen1 and Gen2 since the calipers are different......but for whatever reason EBC makes the rotors themselves differently. The 6042 is the right number for the Gen1 and for use with EM's caliper adaptor (which is Gen1 only)....People have tried the 6309 rotor with EM's adaptor (Gen1) and it had clearance issues. I SUSPECT that if you used an SM6042C rotor and the EBC Gen2 caliper relocation bracket on a Gen2 that it would fit but you can't order the kit piecemeal as far as I now.

- All 650E's (assuming that's what you have) are the same brake-wise
- correct; EM's bracket won't work on a Gen2 and wouldn't help you. It won't fit the fork
- thanks for the update on the EBC relocation bracket material.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I went to that site. I didn't know the E8F and E9F designations were US bikes. (I found Wattman's KLR history page and checked.) So even EBC got it wrong. Did Kawasaki modify the front brake caliper in any way, perhaps in 2014 with the New Edition? The info on the NEw lists the dual-piston brake as a new feature. Perhaps the caliper changed a little. I added aphoto of where the rotor hits the caliper, on the raised flange.

Be well.
All Gen2's (2008 - 2018) have dual piston calipers and I'm not aware of any changes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts