Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the carb kit below and installed it on my 2014.5 KLR. I had upgraded to the EM KLX kit last year, and while I loved it over stock, still wasn't totally happy and wanted better gas mileage. Below are some findings from a 43 mile mixed (dirt and pavement) ride today.

I plan on putting more miles on soon (and really look forward to it ). I think this guy was on the forum a while back while he was developing his needle, etc. Per an agreement with him, due to the newness of his kit, I'm not able to share hardware specifics, but happy to share my "seat-of-the-pants" riding impression.

Please know, I'm not like many of you on here that are great mechanics and have wonderful engineering minds. I'm an old farm boy that loves riding and tinkering with my bikes. I have learned and implemented many things from you all and just wanted to share what I see as a very positive upgrade for my beloved KLR. YMMV and I'm not claiming to be an expert, just one happy KLR rider thanks to this kit.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LloydminsterSmallEngine/photos/?tab=album&album_id=760397424427861

Impressions from my ride today:

1. Very smooth power delivery in all ranges
2. Power always on tap and ready when you need it.
3. Pulls hard and smooth without any hesitation in all typical RPM ranges.
4. Crisp throttle response throughout power band.
5. Better off-road experience overall due to better throttle response (no bogging down in higher gears and ready to pull if needed).
6. More predictable at slower speeds (off-road is great!) due to no lagging or hesitation.
7. Filled up before and after my ride and happily report 46.1 mpg (US gallons). Didn't baby it at all and hit 70 several times (on pavement ).
8. Overall RPM's seem lower at all speeds and engine seems calmer. Around 4700-4800 RPM at 70 (from GPS) with a 16 tooth front sprocket.
9. As peppy as the KLX needle (read that fun), but more control, response and better MPG (was getting 43 MPG on that needle at best).

Just wanted to share my good news and not looking to debate any aspect of this. I am just choosing to enjoy it and "ride it like I stole it" LoL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
67 Posts
I remember this guy, started an epic fight ! i was new at the time but found it very entertaining ! ! !

And now it appears he was right ! ROFL

go figure, shame they banned him lol

i checked the video's, i know my curiosity is peaked. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m interested in learning more about this...

Anyone else have any information on the concepts/logic the kit is based on? or a review?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
I remember this guy, started an epic fight ! i was new at the time but found it very entertaining ! ! !...
No, you showed up with a new username after you were banned, JdgDReDD, and now you're going back to the same behaviours that got you banned. I wondered how long it would take.

Adios.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Interesting how Sammy_Groover ends his post with LOL... like KLR Jo, Jdg DReDD before him... and one other former contributor long gone that I won't mention. I suspect some folks like to kick back with a cool one, and get their jollies trolling on forums... certainly the case here. Some folks, their writing style really has a unique signature, not that difficult to pick 'em out. I'm not a fan of that trolling crap, as IMO it dilutes the amount of good content here, affects the signal-to-noise ratio.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Got the carb kit below and installed it on my 2014.5 KLR. I had upgraded to the EM KLX kit last year, and while I loved it over stock, still wasn't totally happy and wanted better gas mileage. Below are some findings from a 43 mile mixed (dirt and pavement) ride today.

I plan on putting more miles on soon (and really look forward to it ). I think this guy was on the forum a while back while he was developing his needle, etc. Per an agreement with him, due to the newness of his kit, I'm not able to share hardware specifics, but happy to share my "seat-of-the-pants" riding impression.

Please know, I'm not like many of you on here that are great mechanics and have wonderful engineering minds. I'm an old farm boy that loves riding and tinkering with my bikes. I have learned and implemented many things from you all and just wanted to share what I see as a very positive upgrade for my beloved KLR. YMMV and I'm not claiming to be an expert, just one happy KLR rider thanks to this kit.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LloydminsterSmallEngine/photos/?tab=album&album_id=760397424427861

5. Better off-road experience overall due to better throttle response (no bogging down in higher gears and ready to pull if needed).
6. More predictable at slower speeds (off-road is great!) due to no lagging or hesitation.
7. Filled up before and after my ride and happily report 46.1 mpg (US gallons). Didn't baby it at all and hit 70 several times (on pavement ).
8. Overall RPM's seem lower at all speeds and engine seems calmer. Around 4700-4800 RPM at 70 (from GPS) with a 16 tooth front sprocket.
9. As peppy as the KLX needle (read that fun), but more control, response and better MPG (was getting 43 MPG on that needle at best).

Just wanted to share my good news and not looking to debate any aspect of this. I am just choosing to enjoy it and "ride it like I stole it" LoL

Congratulations; I'm glad you're feeling good about your recent modification!

Jason

·
Premium Member
66 Posts

Sounds like an infomercial.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
So, you would recommend the KLX needle conversion? I've done the doohickey and the thermobob. I take it this is the next obvious step in optimizing my bike.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
No, you showed up with a new username after you were banned, JdgDReDD, and now you're going back to the same behaviours that got you banned. I wondered how long it would take.

Adios.
"LoL!"

:)

(Quote above is typical closing used by the former poster in question; linguistic analysis trapped the UNABOMBER, also!)

·
Registered
375 Posts
So, you would recommend the KLX needle conversion? I've done the doohickey and the thermobob. I take it this is the next obvious step in optimizing my bike.
As I'm sure you are aware, the stock carburetor setup is pretty darn lean from just off idle to ~1/4 throttle. The KLX needle kit from Eagle Mike does a great job of evening out the mixture across the full throttle range. Hundreds of KLR riders have installed the KLX kit and have reported impressive carburetor performance improvements.

Jason

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
There's also a certain cadence of language, kind of odd grammar usage (or non-usage), and a "tone" that gives it away. I don't think I would have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out. Mainly, it just has a false feeling of selling something. So it's a fake review pointing to his own facebook page selling his kit. How do some people look at themselves in the mirror?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
As I'm sure you are aware, the stock carburetor setup is pretty darn lean from just off idle to ~1/4 throttle. The KLX needle kit from Eagle Mike does a great job of evening out the mixture across the full throttle range. Hundreds of KLR riders have installed the KLX kit and have reported impressive carburetor performance improvements.

Jason
Okay. I'll order the Eagle Mike kit today. I just didn't know if it was really a big difference or a "kinda notice a difference" sort of thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just so everyone knows, sgroover is really only sgroover and lives in Georgia. Only trying to share my good news. Not sure about the writing analysis, but I assure you, I'm not a troll and only have good intentions, and no decent here.

Sammy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m just here to learn more, what is the difference between this kit and the EM kit? It claims the needle is different, but does anyone have both that’s compared them?

2018 KLR 650
Mods in Progress
Clovis NM (till the AF moves me again)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Okay. I'll order the Eagle Mike kit today. I just didn't know if it was really a big difference or a "kinda notice a difference" sort of thing.
It's a big difference. The KLX is a must-do imho, but it took me a minute to get used to everything again (and to adjust, but that's just me) after I installed it.

Just so everyone knows, sgroover is really only sgroover and lives in Georgia. Only trying to share my good news. Not sure about the writing analysis, but I assure you, I'm not a troll and only have good intentions, and no decent here.
…and Samuel is also Samuel. I'll be trying Dredd's needle as well and detailing my experiences with it. Good or bad, I'll call it as I see it. I do wish, though, that some more experienced guys would give it a go. It would be good to compare notes. However I understand the skepticism, given the conversation that has sprung up around this topic. But then again, the drama… iono, it kinda makes me more curious!

I think the reason groover's post sounds like an infomercial is because it's a recap of conversations that have been happening in other venues, and the points have all been refined. Unless Dredd joined back in 2018 as groover, I think we're looking at one man's honest assessment.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Sammy

Sammy, sorry about that. Personally, I am oh so suspect of someone that shows up claiming their new cure-all carb needle will fix the (un-related) oil consumption problem, shamelessly plugging their jetting kit (being sold on eBay BTW) on this forum, AND the advrider KLR Only thread (posts since deleted).

So, if you look at the Facebook link, you'll see the contact info, Lloydminster Small Engine Repair; i.e. self serving commercial post.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
It is kinda weird, perhaps bad, form. Contact info and all, and the argument laid out all purdy like. For the record, I'm skeptical of the idea that needle circuit pollution in the pilot circuit is responsible for the oil buring we all know and love. I think Tom and Paul's oil mods approach this in a more plausible manner. I'm not saying erratic mixture can't cause oil burning (perhaps, I have no idea), but to my thinking, excess pressure at the crank sounds super plausible. Especially since in my own experience, oil consumption is very tightly linked to >5K RPM driving.

That said, I've messed around with the carb a lot. I've done the 22¢ mod and the KLX needle, stepping through a ton (really, a lot) of slight adjustments in order to dial it in according to my, unfortunately novice, perception. And I think the carb is ripe for new developments, much like the oil system was. I'm not saying Dredd's needle is good, I have no idea. I haven't installed it, but I'm curious about it, and I'm not seeing any red flags outside of personality approach. So I'm going to give it a shot.

Sammy, sorry about that. Personally, I am oh so suspect of someone that shows up claiming their new cure-all carb needle will fix the (un-related) oil consumption problem, shamelessly plugging their jetting kit (being sold on eBay BTW) on this forum, AND the advrider KLR Only thread (posts since deleted).

So, if you look at the Facebook link, you'll see the contact info, Lloydminster Small Engine Repair; i.e. self serving commercial post.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
I can vouch for @Sammy_Groover 's reality, as we have corresponded for a long time. I can vouch for @samuel's reality, as we have met in meat-space and wrenched.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts