Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Posted by 'Dredd himself;

The KLX needle is the way to go. The stock needle can easily be modified to work fine, but the KLX needle is the answer.

I ended up in nearly exactly the same place with my stock needle custom grind and a 40 pilot compared to the 42 pilot and the KLX needle. (the latter does work better and less fuss) BOTH WITH THE O RING INSTALLED.

All this messing around because of not checking my jet drills. This is the set up i thought should work in the FIRST PLACE before i started messing with grinding the needle.

....not sure why anyone would want to bother with his one-off custom needle after he himself said this.

Dave
My concern about modifying an existing needle is that you will destroy the anodizing in the area where the needle is being modified. And it's my understanding that anodized surfaces are harder than bare aluminum, so the rate of wear in the areas where the needle has been modified will be greater than an unmodified needle.

Jason

·
Registered
48 Posts
My issues is, I have the EM KLX kit on hand ready to go. Do I drop the other $55 and get this kit just to see? Or is it something I’ll really need?

My riding will be (in reality) 90% commute, 10% trails/logging roads. Maybe one day when I don’t have to deal with work I’ll change that drastically.

2018 KLR 650
Mods in Progress
Clovis NM (till the AF moves me again)

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
My issues is, I have the EM KLX kit on hand ready to go. Do I drop the other $55 and get this kit just to see? Or is it something I’ll really need?

My riding will be (in reality) 90% commute, 10% trails/logging roads. Maybe one day when I don’t have to deal with work I’ll change that drastically.

2018 KLR 650
Mods in Progress
If you re-read my previous post; even the seller of this modified needle says the KLX kit is a better choice... and if you already have the KLX kit, it really is a no-brainer IMO; install it and ride.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well just for a little more info. I did the 692 upgrade on my 2012 KLR with the KLX Kit. It runs awesome. A lot less vibration and no oil usage! I consistently get 50 mpg riding a mixture of back roads, dirt and freeway at 70 MPH. So 46 MPG does not do anything for me. 😁

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

2018 KLR 650
Mods in Progress
Good luck with your decision... I've had all three and don't plan on going back to stock or the KLX. The developer did make some major changes/improvements since the quoted post which in greatly enjoying... YMMV

Also, regarding MPG, I'm running the large Tusk panniers which catch a lot of wind (but I love the carrying capacity).

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
My biggest concern with any hand modified jets or needles has been about Consistent Repeatabilty. Especially if being offered for sale.

People just do not understand, just How Much a mere one thousands of an inch of difference in jet hole size, needle diameter and precision of finish affects fuel flow thru and around these carburetor parts!!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
I ordered one. I have an otherwise stock motor on a 2018 KLR 650. Haven't messed with the carb or anything at all, so I'll be installing the kit and comparing to completely stock. I will report back once it arrives and I get it installed!
I'd expect it to perform better than stock.....just like the KLX kit. Not trying to beat a dead horse but unless you tried both and did a scientific study on the difference all you'll have is butt dynos and confirmation bias. Until or unless somebody does that, it's all just idle chatter.

Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I ordered one. I have an otherwise stock motor on a 2018 KLR 650. Haven't messed with the carb or anything at all, so I'll be installing the kit and comparing to completely stock. I will report back once it arrives and I get it installed!
Dan, hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Sammy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd expect it to perform better than stock.....just like the KLX kit. Not trying to beat a dead horse but unless you tried both and did a scientific study on the difference all you'll have is butt dynos and confirmation bias. Until or unless somebody does that, it's all just idle chatter.

Dave
True. I'm not claiming to offer some scientific answer or end some debate. I don't have the technical knowledge to do so even if I desired (which I don't). But I ordered one and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. I'll give my feedback based on my limited experience. Maybe it'll add value for someone, maybe it won't. I'm just here to try different stuff and learn what I can. I always have the option to reverse it or switch over to the KLX kit if I don't like the results.

·
Registered
494 Posts
True. I'm not claiming to offer some scientific answer or end some debate. I don't have the technical knowledge to do so even if I desired (which I don't). But I ordered one and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. I'll give my feedback based on my limited experience. Maybe it'll add value for someone, maybe it won't. I'm just here to try different stuff and learn what I can. I always have the option to reverse it or switch over to the KLX kit if I don't like the results.
We eagerly await your evaluation!

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sammy, you posted:

“8. Overall RPM's seem lower at all speeds and engine seems calmer.”

What is the difference in RPM, say at 60 mph in 5th gear, between the stock and the developmental carburetor needle?
I'm interested in this as well, but front sprocket size will also affect his answer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Guys, I'm not on the bike today (work stuff ), put from what I remember from my ride Sunday, I was running around 4700-4800 RPM at 70 (from GPS) with a 16 tooth front sprocket (stock rear sprocket). You guys are smarter than me and can do the ratios, etc to confirm, etc. Not trying to make any fake claims, but I think the bike is running overall stronger, smoother and "calmer". Regardless of agreement, I'm one happy user. But as always, YMMV.

Sammy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Methinks Damocles knows full well that the rpm at a given speed is a function of gear, sprockets and tire diameter and has nothing whatesoever to do with carburetors or jetting...

Dave
I wouldn't think so either, but this isn't the first I've heard of it. Some of the guys doing KLX needles said the bike was running calmer or at lower RPMs. I couldn't really wrap my head around it, but like I said before I'm not the most technical person when it comes to this stuff lol.

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
Maybe Sammy installed the 16T after riding the jet kit only once around the block?

Hopefully he understands that jetting can't change the rpm between the engine & the wheel. If not, he will now.
But smoother, quieter, calmer, stronger are possible.

Reactions: Weav

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Maybe Sammy installed the 16T after riding the jet kit only once around the block?

Hopefully he understands that jetting can't change the rpm between the engine & the wheel. If not, he will now.
But smoother, quieter, calmer, stronger are possible.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I think what I'm sensing is just a calmer, smoother running engine at all RPMs. The 16T sprocket has been on 1.5 years or so along with the KLX kit.

Sammy

41 - 60 of 191 Posts