Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

New Carb Setup - Loving it!

33K views 134 replies 20 participants last post by  Sammy_Groover 
#1 ·
Got the carb kit below and installed it on my 2014.5 KLR. I had upgraded to the EM KLX kit last year, and while I loved it over stock, still wasn't totally happy and wanted better gas mileage. Below are some findings from a 43 mile mixed (dirt and pavement) ride today.

I plan on putting more miles on soon (and really look forward to it [emoji846]). I think this guy was on the forum a while back while he was developing his needle, etc. Per an agreement with him, due to the newness of his kit, I'm not able to share hardware specifics, but happy to share my "seat-of-the-pants" riding impression.

Please know, I'm not like many of you on here that are great mechanics and have wonderful engineering minds. I'm an old farm boy that loves riding and tinkering with my bikes. I have learned and implemented many things from you all and just wanted to share what I see as a very positive upgrade for my beloved KLR. YMMV and I'm not claiming to be an expert, just one happy KLR rider thanks to this kit.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LloydminsterSmallEngine/photos/?tab=album&album_id=760397424427861

Impressions from my ride today:

1. Very smooth power delivery in all ranges
2. Power always on tap and ready when you need it.
3. Pulls hard and smooth without any hesitation in all typical RPM ranges.
4. Crisp throttle response throughout power band.
5. Better off-road experience overall due to better throttle response (no bogging down in higher gears and ready to pull if needed).
6. More predictable at slower speeds (off-road is great!) due to no lagging or hesitation.
7. Filled up before and after my ride and happily report 46.1 mpg (US gallons). Didn't baby it at all and hit 70 several times (on pavement [emoji846]).
8. Overall RPM's seem lower at all speeds and engine seems calmer. Around 4700-4800 RPM at 70 (from GPS) with a 16 tooth front sprocket.
9. As peppy as the KLX needle (read that fun), but more control, response and better MPG (was getting 43 MPG on that needle at best).

Just wanted to share my good news and not looking to debate any aspect of this. I am just choosing to enjoy it and "ride it like I stole it" LoL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#107 ·
Paul, Grant sold me a kit with a few different jets in it. Initially according to his instructions and our conversations on altitude and where I would be riding we decided on going with the 45/155.

Then after some real world riding at this altitude, and a change in my direction with the way I plan to ride, and some adjustments we made, had us try the re-jet.

I need to go look and see what jets he included with his kit.

2018 KLR 650
Mods in Progress
Clovis NM (till the AF moves me again)

This post has been deleted
#113 ·
I've heard good things about this one; https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

you'd need to weld a bung in the header - from ChuckB "For a single cylinder bike a down the tailpipe adaptor is worthless. You must have a O2 bung welded into the exhaust. I've found about 15" down from the head is ideal. You'd be amazed how much fresh air gets pulled down into the tailpipe with single cylinder engines."

Dave

#114 ·
My choice for a bung location:

LM-2's O2 sensor installed:

Top photo is on my '09 (current), bottom is when the header was on my '08.

#115 ·
Well, I'm willing to pitch in if anyone wants to do it; It isn't worth the time and money to buy the AF meter, weld the bung, swap the jetting, etc. etc. for me just to satisfy my curiosity.....but I would be happy to help fund if there is any interest/voluteers. My apologies to Tom for putting him on the spot, so to speak.

Dave

#121 · (Edited)
I'm going to see if there is a dyno that is semi-local and what the cost is. I'm very curious about the AF info but a dyno would be better than just another seat of the pants comparison.
Then, you already have a kit installed to test, right?

Just askin', DPelletier, but . . . what then? After you receive your incontrovertible results, comparing the new needle, its conformation and effect, with the old?

Will you become an evangelistic booster of the new needle, it's "Crazy Power," and improved fuel mileage, if the results verify the claims? (What, then, would become of the Eagle Mike needle-and-jet sales?)

Or, if you find the performance change either insignificant, or negative, will you UNMASK (a term now popular in the US) the new product in the interest of, "truth and justice?" Torpedoing the rapidy-skyrocketing sales of the new kit (after all the research, test and evaluation expense and effort of the developer)?

A sad prospect, certainly, of the endless caravan of KLR riders, denied the claimed advantages of the new kit for the past 30 + years.

#134 ·
No, I sure haven't. I made the mistake of allowing my registration to lapse over the winter and now I'm pooched because the DMV in Virginia has been a mess since March. It looks like I'll have it back on the road late June. What does this have to do with getting the needle installed? I'll want to ride the bike around a bit, get myself acquainted with the feels again, before I start messing with the carb. No need to follow up; I will surely post my comments here when I get it installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.