Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my new doohickey in from Eagle Mike and also my new front UFO fender. Figured my buddy and I would spend the morning doing the fender and then the Doo. Little did I know it would take us 4 times longer to put on a fender than to break open the engine, replace the doo and button it all back up, but that is all part of the fun.


I love the look of the UFO fender much better than the stock. It has also helped drop the running temp of the engine quite a bit with all the air coming in direct to the radiator. I am also not getting near the wind buffeting on the road, therefore my front end is not wobbling or darting like it used to with some wind.
P1010004A.jpg

P1010005a.jpg

After getting the front fender on, which took some time to figure out, because the directions were in Italian??? At any rate, the drawings helped some, but not a lot, so had to do a lot of trial and error and fitment. What we ended up having to do was sandwich the bottom of the fork boot between the clamps and then purchasing 4 1/4 inch longer bolts to make it easier. After getting the fender relatively lined up, we had to put the front tire back on and then took a rubber mallet and "gently" persuaded the low side of the fender upwards till it looked even and lever front to back and side to side. Once this was accomplished, off came the tire and finished tightning the fender clamp bolts. All in all, I think it was worth the work and effort.

Now for the Doohickey. DaddyJoe had helped my buddy Frank and I change out his doohickey, so we pretty much knew what had to be done and we had the tools to do it with. Once we got the side plate off, of course you immediately look inside to see if anything is missing or broken, big breath of relief, the factory doohickey was still in tact and the spring had not broken, but, the unit would not adjust at all, it wouldn't move. From what I could tell the spring was holding the lever in place, but the spring had no more pull left, the coils were touching, no space inbetween. Also the next interesting thing was when it came time to remove the rotor. I install the bolt to remove it, and as I finger tightened it, it bottomed out and normally you have to use an impact or breaker bar to pull the rotor off. Guess what? Mine came off using only my fingers to turn the bolt. Don't know if that is normal or not, but we couldn't find anything that looked out of place in there. Once the new spring was put into place we started putting it all back together. I had bought a cheap 1 1/4 wrench to cut and weld to hold the rotor when tightening the bolt back, but, we found we could use the wrench as it was, with out having to cut it and weld it. It would hold and was long enough to hold against the jackstand so that we could torque the rotor bolt back to specs.

All in all not a bad morning and part of afternoon of some tech maintenance and upgrades. I like the sticker that Mike sends with his Doo's. :)

P1010003a.jpg
We didn't get a chance to ride after that, but having peace of mind is worth the wait.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top