Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone,

I'm Sean, and I've been looking into the KLR for some time now and have recently become serious about picking one up. I looked at a new, white 2015 today that the dealer is trying to clear to make room for their 2016 models.

What should I shoot for as far as an OTD price? $6200 seems a bit steep when they started at $5599.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And I'll be back to check responses and complete my profile soon; I've just gotta' meet my lady for dinner first.

In the meantime, I'm in Central VA and originally from Southern California. I own a 240Z, an '02 Accord, and an '05 RC51. And I'm an American Sign Language Interpreter. It'll be a pleasure getting to know you folks. And thanks for any input. Cheers.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome!

Motorcycle pricing around the country is very disparate. You need to look at pricing and the popularity of the motorcycle in your particular area. However, since msrp on the 2015 is $6,599 and your dealer "started" at $5,599, I'm guessing the $6,200 must be your out-the-door price? If that was a Tampa area deal on a 2015 I'm going to say that you'd be getting a really good new-motorcycle price. Unfortunately, by the time your dealer tacks on the destination and assembly, their administrative fees and whatever else they feel the need to pass along to you, the starting price always seems to fly, ridiculously off the scale. But that's new motorcycle purchasing in this day and age. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bill10.
And yes, $6200 was the approximate OTD price brought up from the clearanced starting point of $5599 (it was a few tens less than $6200 actually).
I've never bought new, so it did seem like quite a jump. Thanks so much for your input.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's a good price. And the dealer fees seem to be quite less than central Florida. You can try for 6 even but under 62 otd is good.
You mentioned otd seemed steep but here otd can be 1700 over price or more especially if the dealer is owned by another. For example some bike dealers down here are owned by a car dealer and that dealer automatically puts a 325 charge on the invoice in hard print. That's on top of all the individual dealer fees and setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Back2Kawi, I appreciate your input too. Seems like times have changed since the $11k super sport bikes and cheap beaters of a decade ago. I guess $6k would be a good price for a new ride.

However...
Looks like I might be picking up a used KLR tomorrow. If so I'll share the details here. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A new 2016 (basically the same as the 2015 other than paint) will run you approximately 8,300 OTD at the dealership where I bought mine. That's obviously without any discounts, just the MSRP plus all other applicable fees, tax, tag, title, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many in my crew here in N. Virginia make the trip to Romney Cycle in WV for our new MC purchases. They're good people and host a Camp & Ride every spring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got it!!!
Check my garage.
And thanks, everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting some from this community and learning where the fun rides are.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Looks good. Which top case is that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts