Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a three day weekend before me I decided to upgrade my front brakes while I do a little preventive maintenance. I bought a Galfer 320mm oversized front rotor kit. It comes with a new Wave Rotor that looks great, Semi Metallic brake pads, stainless steel braided brake line, the caliper adapter and incredible documentation.
The Galfer folks sent stickers, mini CD of every reference you need including their HOW TO videos for the upgrade. So, you cannot change the brakes without flushing the old brake fluid. I chose BelRay Super Dot 4 brake fluid. While I am maintaining the front brakes, I will also flush the brake fluid from the rear brake too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Good move!

I switched to Galfer Green brake pads; OEM pads scored rotor excessively, compared to my riding partner's Galfer Greens on his identical 320 mm rotor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damocles,
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to change to the Greens. The stock pads wore very well, but I notice that the stock rotor was beginning to show some scoring, but nothing significant.
Have a great weekend!!!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Run your fingernail radially across your rotor (320 mm oversize on your bike?). If no grooves cut (similar to phonograph record grooves), you're golden with OEM pads. If the pads are engraving the rotor . . . you can buy lots of brake pads for the cost of one new rotor . . .

Then again, maybe no brake rotor ever became unserviceable from OEM pad wear. I just wanted a smoother friction surface on my rotor, like that of my riding partner's Galfer Green brake padded bike.

Galfer Green pads stop adequately, seems to me; maybe a bit kinder and gentler than the OEM pads, but runaway bike unlikely, IMHO. Work well with the increased modulation control available from oversize rotor and steel-wrapped brake line; again, in my experience.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damocles,
The stock rotor has the slightest of ripple, but very shallow. I think for 12,000 miles they look and feel great. Speaking of looking great, I finished installing the 320mm rotor and new brakes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks sharp!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maybe after I get this supension sorted I'll see the need for a better front brake. As of now my front brake is adequate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts