Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

New gen 1 owner from North Dakota

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  NDFrank 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a nice 2006 KLR 650 with around 11000 miles on it. Im excited to get back into klr ownership. My wife had a 2009 when we got married and I liked it but we sold it a few years ago. Ive basically been kicking myself ever since. I've had a CSC rx3 for the last couple years and really like it but I definitely yearned for the KLR. This looks to be a really nice bike. Ill be fiddling with it and making sure everything is good to go all winter. It has a lot of farkles. They guy I bought it from didn't build it and didn't know much so its all up to me I guess. The more I look the more nice parts I find. Ill try to list what I know so far. He claims the doohickey is done but I'll be verifying that myself and checking the valve lash this winter.
So far that I can tell:
Tusk pannier racks and boxes
Luggage rack of undetermined manufacturer
Corbin seat
Ek oring chain
Warp 9 footpegs
Happytrails nerf bars and hwy pegs
Rox risers
Protaper bars
Oxford heated grips
Moose racing bark busters
Powerbroze windshield
Garmin nuvi gps with tpms sensors
No name led pods
Jns headlight
Custom console mod thing
Air chuck caps on forks( idk how to use these)
Tusk lopro drain plug
Doohickey(supposedly)

Im sure ill find more. Hopefully this will be a good bike for years to come. Any advise or just saying hi is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper! I mean, she had a KLR when you got married?! Also, nice bike to rectify the mistake of selling hers. Get yourself a better bash plate and it's pretty well ready to take you anywhere and, even better, bring you back. PeteK, what's with this nonsense?
Too bad ya can't use it much in ND until spring!
It's got heated grips!

#7 ·
I rode day before yesterday - we had a couple of days of sunshine and 35° temps, so it melted the packed snow off the mile and a half of gravel between me and the highway (which is always clear by a couple of days after a snow shower or storm). It gave me the chance to try out my new Alpinestars Halo Drystar jacket. I think it's the real deal, a true 4 season jacket. I believe I got the last in-stock large in the world. Ordered from Chromeburner in the Netherlands on a Monday at 6pm and had it in my hot little hands by noon on Friday. I had almost as good of service from them on my Scorpion ADX-2 helmet, which took 7 days. Great prices, too! If I get my front and rear traffic cams mounted up ill get out again, then post a link to video of riding through the Minnesota winter wonderland.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Not an extra, those are standard on a Gen. 1. Generally you don’t use them except to bleed air out of the forks. They also come in handy when replacing fork seals.

Bike is nicely kitted out but I’m surprised that one of the upgrades wasn’t an aluminum skid plate. Something to put on your Christmas list.

Reactions: NDFrank
#10 ·
#16 ·
#17 ·
I recently picked up a nice 2006 KLR 650 with around 11000 miles on it. Im excited to get back into klr ownership. My wife had a 2009 when we got married and I liked it but we sold it a few years ago. Ive basically been kicking myself ever since. I've had a CSC rx3 for the last couple years and really like it but I definitely yearned for the KLR. This looks to be a really nice bike. Ill be fiddling with it and making sure everything is good to go all winter. It has a lot of farkles. They guy I bought it from didn't build it and didn't know much so its all up to me I guess. The more I look the more nice parts I find. Ill try to list what I know so far. He claims the doohickey is done but I'll be verifying that myself and checking the valve lash this winter.
So far that I can tell:
Corbin seat
Ek oring chain
Warp 9 footpegs
Rox risers
Protaper bars
Oxford heated grips
Powerbroze windshield
No name led pods
Jns headlight
Custom console mod thing
Tusk lopro drain plug
Doohickey(supposedly)

Im sure ill find more. Hopefully this will be a good bike for years to come. Any advise or just saying hi is appreciated.

Nice looking rig!!!!
I have a 2006 also... but mine is a GREEN MACHINE.

#18 ·
So far that I can tell:
Corbin seat
Ek oring chain
Warp 9 footpegs
Rox risers
Protaper bars
Oxford heated grips
Powerbroze windshield
No name led pods
Jns headlight
Custom console mod thing
Tusk lopro drain plug
Doohickey(supposedly)

I still have family in South Dakota. I think I could cross the entire state almost entirely on gravel roads. I used to spend my summers out there. I loved it... in the summers that is! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.