Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, do new generation KLR's use a lot of oil? I've been offered a new KLR650 camo with soft panniers for a good price

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Darrel2308,
Hopefully 99% of the 2010 and newer KLR650's have normal oil useage. As in 'maybe' just a couple of ounces every 1500 km (1000 mi) or so.

Glad to hear the KLR650 is still on your 'possible' list.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
WHAT????????????

Darryl's STILL considering a KLR650, after he ran, screaming, from the room at that possibility?

Just wondering, Darryl; what changed your mind, regarding the KLR650's suitability for your own riding style and environment?

Glad to have you, regardless! :)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Darryl,
To answer your question, my 2011 uses no oil between changes even with sustained highway running over 5000rpm.
As a remark re the difference between the KLR and the VStrom, the VStrom has much less ground clearance than the KLR. If you want to do ANY rougher stuff, ie off gravel, the KLR would be better. The VStrom is more street oriented.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nope. I've had a couple runs down to So Florida this year on my 2016, 3.5-4.0 hours each way, pretty high speeds. It ran great with the stock gearing, actually kind of comfortable, no oil loss. Its performance in the offroad snot has been pretty respectable too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Throw a Thermo-bob on the newer ones and they'll probably never consume oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts