Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Administrator
4,625 Posts
Welcome. Bike in picture is ……?

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up my bike this afternoon, after the first 100 miles my reaction is pleasantly surprised at how great this bike rides! As a mechanic I’ve always been taught break in should be pressure and vacuum on the piston rings in the first few miles so while staying in the Kawasaki guidelines in 5th gear I accelerated hard as possible then coasted back down and repeated the process a number of times. Always worked great on the engines I’ve rebuilt. Vibration is far less then I expected and handles effortlessly. Color me impressed😁.
Sorry for the run on dribble probably should be posted elsewhere but I was excited to share

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
What part of East ND? I'm about 120 miles down 94 into MN. If you're reasonable close to FM or south of there, we should get together for a ride sometime.
"Reasonably close" in North Dakota is about 400 miles, right?

· Registered
'08 KLR
442 Posts
"Reasonably close" in North Dakota is about 400 miles, right?
I spent the summer of - '92, was it? - on a ranch south of Glendive, MT. At a wedding dance in town, I met a formerly local gal who was currently living in Billings. For the remainder of the summer, every Saturday late afternoon I would get in my truck and drive the 220 miles to Billings, go on a date, then drive back because, work - which on a farm or ranch is never done. After a while, it seems normal and sane...

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
My hometown is Sidney. Glendive was the nearest town of similar size. We used to run down to Miles City pretty regular when we wanted some big city life.

Billings? Hell no, that place was scary. They had buildings for people that were taller than a good grain silo. That wasn't natural for a slack-jawed, flat-footed, knuckle-dragging Richland County Retard.

· Premium Member
12,570 Posts
I'll ask who suggested the balancer chain was too tight? Because that can't happen.
The tension spring can run out of travel but can never overtension that system.

Most likely your Final Drive Chain was too tight.
Happens because the long swingarm moves thru a long stroke creating a large fluctuation in the slack. And most people will take up too much slack.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts