Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a compiled list of EM's suggested torque values for the various components, faseners, etc.
I like to error to the conservative side for maintenance, dont need to strip or crack anything.
If it is posted somewhere I apologize, I just haven't found it perhaps. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there a compiled list of EM's suggested torque values for the various components, faseners, etc.
I like to error to the conservative side for maintenance, dont need to strip or crack anything.
If it is posted somewhere I apologize, I just haven't found it perhaps. Thanks!

Sorry, I messed up.
Shouldn't have posted a pic of my bike ( not enough posts yet )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I messed up.

I've read through the spec sheet sticky , are these torque values the more conservative as compared to what's stated in a clymer? I did order one, hadnt arrived yet.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Reactions: kc0qnx

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Sorry, I messed up.

If you are sharp enough & apparently determined enough to post a pic of your KLR or KLR related project with fewer than the normally required 15 postings of the average member, then you probably are not a spammer and there is probably no need to apologize.

Other than the engine oil drain plug error, I think any manual or handbook newer than 2010 probably has accurate torque specs.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Other than the engine oil drain plug error, I think any manual or handbook newer than 2010 probably has accurate torque specs.
The oil drain plug is certainly the most important one; some manuals show 17 ft lbs, others show 21 ft lbs - I use 15 ft lbs as per Eaglemike

Other ones to watch;

- some manuals are reported to have 33 ft lbs for the footpeg bolts whilst others have 18 ft lbs; I use 18 and would suggest the 33 is a mistake

- Eaglemike recommends 55 INCH lbs instead of 69 inch lbs for the valve cover bolts.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I quite often change oil at the auto parts store where I bought it far from home. I have torque wrenches, but when traveling I am not willing to give up the space or haul the weight of a big wrench and safety wire pliers. I use a little 6" long 1/4" ratchet with an adapter for the socket that fits the drain plug. Less likely to over tighten with a small wrench.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
On torque values: Go EASY on the oil filter cover bolts! No matter HOW tight you get 'em, you have NO EFFECT on oil sealing, and too much torque inevitably results in a neo-disaster.

Why NOT torque 'em 'til they SCREAM? The oil seal is maintained by the filter O-ring; NOT the oil filter housing cover bolts.

But, if you DO compromise one of the bolts, fear not! One oil filter housing cover bolt is ENOUGH to hold things together 'til you can effect a proper fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts