Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there my names Brad and I just joined this forum today. I don't have a KLR yet, but I've been looking for awhile now and I think I made up my mind and am getting a 2012 KLR 650. Just wanting to know what others think of their bikes and if anyone has a 2012 yet. The one thing I'm worried about is the power of the bike, I'm 6'7" 250lbs and I'm hoping the bike will have plenty of power to take on my big self. And what type of performance upgrades can you do, so far I've looked into a jet kit and a FMF Q4 exhaust. So any input on this would be great. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm 6' and 230 lbs. No problems at all with accerleration or sustained highway speeds.

·
Administrator
3,768 Posts
Power won't be an issue.

Have you seen the size of the V-twin boys and their engines put out what, about 60 HP!!??

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 6' and 260 pounds and while the the KLR isn't a race bike, it has enough power to get me where I am going. Just remember, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm 6'3" 240 plenty of power for what a klr is for.imo Mine has air box mods.slip on pipe,$.22 mod and jet kit. These mods made alot of difference on mine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Think it depends on what you are used to. If you are coming off a fast bike it will seem pretty anemic. If it is your first bike it might even seem fast. Plenty of power for me off-road, backroads and gravel. Usually take the Strom to play in heavy traffic. :)

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
These bikes have gobs of power in the first few gears.
Passing at interstate speeds takes an early throttle
but that's the worst of it.
I wheelie second gear no problem with the oversized (16) countersprocket.

These things are a hoot right outta the box, and wake up a little more
with the tweaks and mods.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
26 Posts
Power won't be an issue.

Have you seen the size of the V-twin boys and their engines put out what, about 60 HP!!??
LOL I'm one of those big guys(260lbs) with a big Vtwin(Kaw 2000cc) I'm switching bikes as I need to go to a lighter bike without giving up on the joy of riding. My last big single was a Honda 600XL and the KLR looks to be as much fun or more. I'm hoping to have my KLR in the next week and I have been reading a lot of pages here. I'm know its going to be a shock to the guys/girls that I ride with this coming season to see me on this type of bike.
I think the KLR is a great way to get back into the joy of riding as my brothers are thinking I might be onto something with going to a KLR. The pro's for me are a 1/3 the weight, half the insurance cost, cheaper fuel as I won't have to always get high test, better gas milage, and now and this is the big one I can go down that old dirt road and not have to pass on them for fear of getting a scatch or worse dirty. John

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm 6'3" and at your height you may want a taller windshield for the pavement but no worries on the power unless you like doing 120mph, which ain't gonna happen even if you weighed 140lbs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts