Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just purchased a new KLR and still to pick it up :(

This is going to be my first motorcycle and I decided for a KLR for its reputation, price, and dependability.

Moved from Tijuana and getting started to know places here.

Finished the B. Riding Course and still have never driven a motorcycle on the freeway, don't have problems with shifts but don't have any practice on curves.

Any recommendations on a website or place to buy quality engine guards and rear rack kits (less expensive)?

Can any one tell me where is the nearest off road trail?

Thanks,
Omar.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome to the world of KLRs, you will have a great experience with your new bike. There are more vendors for parts that you can count on. PMR racks are in EL Cajon(if I remember right) and build decent stuff at a fair price. You can find em on ebay all the time. Happy Trails, Touratech, and others all carry quality stuff for the KLR. It mostly boils down to your preference and how deep your wallet is. There's lots of great riding in San Diego but its been too many years since I lived there to know what is still rideable. Welcome again!!

·
Administrator
3,704 Posts

omar cord: Welcome to our little corner of the Net, the home of the world's most dedicated KLR 650 owners.

Reading is fun, but being involved is way better! Make us your online KLR 650 source.

Share your views, spread the word and bring your friends.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your KLR. You'll be able to show it off once you have 15 forum posts behind you.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My son is a Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton. He and his wife are living in Encinitas. He racked up 12,000+ miles on his KLR commuting between their first apartment in San Diego and Pendleton...

...then he decided he wanted a more "freeway-worthy" bike so he bought a Yamaha R6.

Since purchasing the R6, his KLR hasn't seen much use. But he's planning on using it a bit more starting in August when he leaves the Corps, and heads for WyoTech in Laramie, WY. That area is a bit more KLR friendly, with mountains and camping within about 30 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments!,

I did contact the PMR in San Diego and definitely going to visit them, I have also gotten the interest on this web page: "sporttour.com" seams competitive prices on the engine crash bars...can I do any better pricewise?

Yes I have heard that KLR on freeways are not that comfortable nor fast, but in my personal case that's why I chose a dual bike, I've rather go in a freeway with a klr than buying two motorcycles or having a sports bike off-road.

And when I go to Baja, I'll count on by KLR get me in and out of places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts