Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dude's

Been loving my 2008 KLR 650! I Ride it to work 19miles over the santa cruz mountains weekly. I got an extra set of road tires for the "hulk" but im not sure about mounting them.

I want a set of tires a can do both on and off road. Any Suggestions?

:desismiley1:

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got a nice commute there.

You can mount your own tires. It just takes some doing to get used to it.

I recommend this series of videos on YouTube to get the basic ideas down:

Opinions/preferences on tires for the KLR vary greatly. You might want to use the site's "Search" function to find and browse previous tire threads.

As always, I'll throw in a quick positive opinion on the Shinko 244 for both on-road and off-road use.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome!
Just like planalp says, if you search the forum you'll find a lot of good information and a lot of opinions about tires. I have not gone through enough tires to made my own recomendation.
As you research different tire options, try to determine what percentage of your riding will be on/off road. Dual sport tires are usually classified by different percentages. For example: a 60/40 tire is designed by the manufacturer to be used 60% on-road and 40% off-road. There are 50/50 tires, 75/25 tires, etc., etc.
Have fun and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Thanks to all the video "how to" is great!
You can find Part2 and Part3 that continue with the tire-changing process on YouTube. Just search for "Easy Dirt Bike Tire Change Instructions."

Keep in mind that guy has probably changed thousands of tires and is working with a soft dirt bike tire that probably hasn't been on the rim very long. Yours will be a little more of a challenge, but if you utilize the techniques shown and exercise some patience, you'll be fine.

Good spoons, something along these lines, will make the job much easier.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/17141/Motion-Pro-Spoon-Type-Tire-Iron/TIRE+SPOON

·
Registered
576 Posts
You can find Part2 and Part3 that continue with the tire-changing process on YouTube. Just search for "Easy Dirt Bike Tire Change Instructions."

Keep in mind that guy has probably changed thousands of tires and is working with a soft dirt bike tire that probably hasn't been on the rim very long. Yours will be a little more of a challenge, but if you utilize the techniques shown and exercise some patience, you'll be fine.

Good spoons, something along these lines, will make the job much easier.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/17141/Motion-Pro-Spoon-Type-Tire-Iron/TIRE+SPOON
I ended up buying this...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/277/1008/-/15582/Tusk-Fender-Tube-Pack-with-Tire-Irons/TUSK+FENDER+BAG

A few buck more plus you get a front fender bag to keep your tire irons and it'll fit a spare tube.

Haven't done a change yet, can't vouch for how good the irons are. They certainly feel solid (heavy).

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi and welcome!
With 700 miles on my Orange 2011 (the FASTEST color!) I removed the HORRIBLE factory Dunlops which were half worn and installed Mefo Explorers.
I now have over 3500 miles on them and they are maybe 1/3 worn. I ride on every type of terrain and find them to perform well. I just did a trip into British Columbia Canada of 1500 miles of paved twisties and had no problems keeping up to the bigger faster bikes I was traveling with. I commute 15 miles to work on gravel and ride local trails on dirt mud and grass. I think they are a great allround tire. Yuo can source them through Twisted Throttle in the US or A Viscious Cycle in Canada.
Best Regards.... Jeff:13:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts