Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, first time member but not new to KLR's. I've owned all previous gen KLR's and am very familiar with them....even though they are all pretty much the same :p.
Anyways, I've been having intermittent starting issues after my bike has sat for a few days...particularly when cold. The bike has always started, but cranks very slow which has lead me to investigate the battery. Upon inspection, the battery seems to be much smaller than the previous gen I & II models.
Sooo...I decided to contact the dealership where I purchased the bike. Needless to say, that was a waste of time and I won't be bothering bringing my bike to them for a diagnostic inspection.

I happened to have an old dead battery from my previous bike (2017 Honda Africa Twin) and it looked very similar to the KLR battery. And what do you know....it looks like it'll fit just fine + the new replacement I ordered has an additional 100 CCA's!
It is a tight fit, but it does fit inside the stock battery box.

This is for anyone that is experiencing battery issues on their gen III KLR, or anyone who is looking to upgrade their OEM battery.
2022 KLR Battery: 8.4Ah/135 CCA
Africa Twin Battery: 11.8Ah/230 CCA

Here’s the battery I ordered
Amazon.com: Mighty Max Battery YTZ14S 12V 11.2Ah 230CCA SLA Power Sport Battery Brand Product : Automotive

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
IMO, regrettably most dealerships & owners Never get their Brand New batteries FULLY charged the FIRST Time!
Which is the most important time to achieve Full Capacity & Longest life, because they most all rely on "Automatic" chargers.
The Automatic shut-down or float maintainer chargers set Down the voltage Too Soon to fully load the electrons into the new battery or 'bulk charge'. Others use higher amp chargers for a 'Quick-Charge', because Everbody is in a Hurry, which may overheat the battery.

The AGM batteries need to be brought up to 15.25-15.5 volts the first time & Flooded cell batteries need to be brought up to 14.5 volts the first time and this is best done with a mere 1 amp straight rate charger which will not over-heat a battery.
This slow saturation can many times improve a neglected battery but will never reach truely maximum capacity that the battery may have been capable of.

The Africa Twin battery (YTZ14S) mentioned is probably a Factory Filled & Charged battery, which hopefully the battery factory did right the First Time.
But I don't really like them because I don't know how long they have been setting in a warehouse, un-maintained, which is detrimental to any 'activated' battery also. Life of a battery starts the day they are filled, not the day they are sold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always top off the charge on a new battery when I buy one. In addition, the new KLR battery was properly re-charged by myself when new. Trickle chargers don’t do much but aid in the longevity of a battery.
I just think I got a dud battery. It doesn’t help that it’s too small for this application. I think more people will eventually have similar issues with the stock KLR battery as time goes on.

Reactions: gus898

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
In addition, the new KLR battery was properly re-charged by myself when new.
Did you uncrate, assemble & prep your own brand new bike at the dealership?
The new batteries with the bikes are shipped dry/uncharged.
So if you didn't, you don't know what procedure or charger they used the 1st time.
I'd suggest it probably wasn't correct or you wouldn't have felt the need to re-charge it Yourself!
And possibly wouldn't have felt the need to install a larger battery after your attempted re-charging.

There is a big difference between low amp trickle chargers and float chargers/battery tenders.
An old fashioned trickle charger can exceed the voltages required. The float charger/battery tenders will go into float or storage mode Before the new batteries are Fully Charged.

Put a volt meter on the alligator clips of a float charger while attempting to charge a brand new battery & check it often. You will find they usually set down at about 14.2-14.3 volts.
Therefore they don't give the new batteries the saturation / bulk charge that they need.

I've been in this business for near 46 years now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you uncrate, assemble & prep your own brand new bike at the dealership?
The new batteries with the bikes are shipped dry/uncharged.
So if you didn't, you don't know what procedure or charger they used the 1st time.
I'd suggest it probably wasn't correct or you wouldn't have felt the need to re-charge it Yourself!
And possibly wouldn't have felt the need to install a larger battery after your attempted re-charging.

There is a big difference between low amp trickle chargers and float chargers/battery tenders.
An old fashioned trickle charger can exceed the voltages required. The float charger/battery tenders will go into float or storage mode Before the new batteries are Fully Charged.

Put a volt meter on the alligator clips of a float charger while attempting to charge a brand new battery & check it often. You will find they usually set down at about 14.2-14.3 volts.
Therefore they don't give the new batteries the saturation / bulk charge that they need.

I've been in this business for near 46 years now.
Sounds like this may be getting complicated!
Long story short, I’ve purchased a few new bikes and understand that they may be setting on the dealership floor for quite some time before being sold.

The battery that came in my KLR was a junker, and I’m not the first one this has happened to….so far.
Kawasaki also decided to outfit the gen 3 bike with a much smaller battery than previously used, which may also contribute to the issue.
Dead battery warrants a replacement.
Replace it, forget about it, and ride on!

Reactions: Grant440

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I my 46 years in the business, I've never had an AGM NEW battery fail that Early, Unless it was initially under-charged on an Automatic Charger.
I learned the hard way, shortly after the Battery Tender brand chargers hit the market. (Was that near 30 years ago?)

I post this STUFF for everyone to learn, not just you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I my 46 years in the business, I've never had an AGM NEW battery fail that Early, Unless it was initially under-charged on an Automatic Charger.
I learned the hard way, shortly after the Battery Tender brand chargers hit the market. (Was that near 30 years ago?)

I post this STUFF for everyone to learn, not just you.
Don't know what to tell you, other than my bike has had issues starting for the past month now. The new larger battery has fixed the intermittent starting issue. The gen 3 battery has 40 less CCA's than the previous KLR models...which may exacerbate the slow engine cranking symptoms when cold....if your battery isn't up to snuff.

I do apologize, seems to me that I struck a nerve with you and your many years of industry knowledge!
I'm posting because I found an issue with my new bike that a few others have also experienced with their gen 3 bikes. I came up with a viable solution to the problem for others to take into account....if they happen to encounter the same issue. I appreciate it when others do the same.
Cheers!

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
69 Posts
Hi there, first time member but not new to KLR's. I've owned all previous gen KLR's and am very familiar with them....even though they are all pretty much the same :p.
Anyways, I've been having intermittent starting issues after my bike has sat for a few days...particularly when cold. The bike has always started, but cranks very slow which has lead me to investigate the battery. Upon inspection, the battery seems to be much smaller than the previous gen I & II models.
Sooo...I decided to contact the dealership where I purchased the bike. Needless to say, that was a waste of time and I won't be bothering bringing my bike to them for a diagnostic inspection.

I happened to have an old dead battery from my previous bike (2017 Honda Africa Twin) and it looked very similar to the KLR battery. And what do you know....it looks like it'll fit just fine + the new replacement I ordered has an additional 100 CCA's!
It is a tight fit, but it does fit inside the stock battery box.

This is for anyone that is experiencing battery issues on their gen III KLR, or anyone who is looking to upgrade their OEM battery.
2022 KLR Battery: 8.4Ah/135 CCA
Africa Twin Battery: 11.8Ah/230 CCA

Here’s the battery I ordered
Amazon.com: Mighty Max Battery YTZ14S 12V 11.2Ah 230CCA SLA Power Sport Battery Brand Product : Automotive
I also noticed that my third gen did seem to turn over slower than I remembered my 2017 did. This explains it. Is the factory battery at least AGM, or just sealed, maintenance free? At least they finally moved away from "maintenance required" batteries of the previous generation.

I'll keep the Africa Twin battery in mind.

·
Registered
2009 KLR650
105 Posts
I really wouldn't be all that fond of oem batteries made in the past couple years, been a lot more failures in new cars recently. I don't see a reason for Kawasaki to ship the new KLR with a lower cca battery, reducing size and weight is one thing, but reducing much needed power is another. Bad move.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I do apologize, seems to me that I struck a nerve with you and your many years of industry knowledge!
No apology necessary to me.
Yeah, maybe you touched nerve. I tried very hard to be the best dealer & mechanic that I knew / know how to be for 26 years that my brother & I were the owners of the Kawasaki dealership in this small town. We're still here (since 1974 & 1976 respectfully), maintaining what this shop sold for 52 years and others.

So we know when other dealers are not doing a proper job. Seen it many times, first hand. Still see it & read about it, regularly. (The current Dealerships across the nation should be the ones apologizing to their current customers.)

All units on a showroom floor or a lot with an active battery should be connected to a maintenance charger Once A Month!
With one 1.25amp Battery Tender Plus I could maintain two bikes a day. Rotating thru the fleet, moving the maintainer morning & night.

With another 1.25amp Tender and a multi-fuse block & with multiple leads, I can keep 8 - 10 of my most popular batteries ready to go, with only the one in-expensive maintainer. Not a $750.00 Battery Tender 10 Bank Charger, wow.
But only after being brought to FULL Charge on an old fashioned 1amp straight rate charger.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Is the factory battery at least AGM, or just sealed, maintenance free?
Yes the Gen 3 now comes with an AGM, never add water battery.
But any type of lead / acid battery needs to either be used or charge Maintained at least a month. And I don't mean idling in the drive way. Either ride them 20 miles or plug them in.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I don't see a reason for Kawasaki to ship the new KLR with a lower cca battery, reducing size and weight is one thing, but reducing much needed power is another.
Someone needs to show us where they put the California Evaporative Emissions Charcoal Can in the 2022 models.
Because I can't tell by the line-drawings in the parts schematics. It might be where the old battery used to sit?

Just for everyones information,
The YTZ14S battery which KLR-Mule used is a mere 3/16 inch / 5mm longer than the FTX9-BS oem battery. Width & Height are Identical.

The YTZ12S battery with 210CCA is the same size as the YTZ14S, but may be less expensive.

But the older style YTX14AHL-BS is WAY TOO Large to fit the Gen 3's.

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
69 Posts
Someone needs to show us where they put the California Evaporative Emissions Charcoal Can in the 2022 models.
Because I can't tell by the line-drawings in the parts schematics. It might be where the old battery used to sit?

The YTZ14S battery which KLR-Mule used is a mere 3/16 inch / 5mm longer than the FTX9-BS oem battery. Width & Height are Identical.

The YTZ12S battery with 210CCA is the same size as the YTZ14S, but may be less expensive.

The YTZ12S is the battery in my Super Tenere. For anyone wondering it’s abilities. On par with the Africa Twin’s needs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also noticed that my third gen did seem to turn over slower than I remembered my 2017 did. This explains it. Is the factory battery at least AGM, or just sealed, maintenance free? At least they finally moved away from "maintenance required" batteries of the previous generation.

I'll keep the Africa Twin battery in mind.
The 2022 KLR battery does not appear to be AGM...at least I don't think. I think its a regular old lead acid battery. It does have a cap on the top of it that says "do not remove", which makes me think it's not an AGM.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The charcoal canister is located inside the right-side plastic shroud on the 22 KLR. It's in the exact same spot that the gen 2 emissions air pump was located.
I ripped all that crap out of there and installed a huge truck horn in its place. It was a direct fit (y)

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
It is an AGM battery.
But it is NOT a factory filled, sealed and pre-charged AGM battery like the YTZ14S.

The -BS stands for 'Bottle Serviced'. As in they are shipped DRY with a foil seal over the 6 openings. With a conjoined 6pack of battery acid which has a foil seal. The 6pk is stood on top of the exposed openings & smacked down into the openings with ones hand to pierce the foil & allow the acid to fill the cells, perfectly, every time.
The battery should then be allowed 1 hour to Absorb the acid into the Glass Matting, leaving the 6pk standing on top.

Then charged slowly & completely with a conventional old fashioned charger, the 1st time to 15.25-15.50 volts while On the charger. Then sealed with the 6pk plastic strip cap, firmly pushed completely in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to know, thanks for your insight (y)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
It's about time they upgraded the battery from the old acid-puking lead acid.......but in typical budget fashion they stopped short of using a LiFePO4......which would weigh a quarter as much and take up half the space as well as spinning the starter faster....

Dave

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
69 Posts
It's about time they upgraded the battery from the old acid-puking lead acid.......but in typical budget fashion they stopped short of using a LiFePO4......which would weigh a quarter as much and take up half the space as well as spinning the starter faster....

Dave
I mean, it just got LED headlights (no turn signals or tail though).
I don't think the general public is ready for that sort of tech.

·
Registered
2022 KLR
27 Posts
I mean, it just got LED headlights (no turn signals or tail though).
I don't think the general public is ready for that sort of tech.
I laughed at that one. I was surprised when I picked up my bike that only the headlight was LED... Everything takes time:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts