Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
lithium aren't so great for Canada if you ride down to freezing, I'm fine with an AGM over standard LA

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
65 Posts
I laughed at that one. I was surprised when I picked up my bike that only the headlight was LED... Everything takes time:)
It does. I really wish they made the tail light LED also. I sort of understand not including LED signals on a budget bike, but come on. Even Grom's have an LED tail light.

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
65 Posts
lithium aren't so great for Canada if you ride down to freezing, I'm fine with an AGM over standard LA
Yup. Between that, and the charger requirements I don't think that's ready for the normies.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
....but in typical budget fashion they stopped short of using a LiFePO4......which would weigh a quarter as much and take up half the space as well as spinning the starter faster....
But Dave, some people DO ride in sub 40F or even freezing temps, which the LiFePO4 batteries do NOT agree with.

Are there Any new InternalCombustionEngine (ICE) bikes from any company that come oem equipped with a LiFePO4 battery?

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
Well, though I avoid riding in below freezing temps, I live in Canada and have had zero issues with my LiFePO4's and I've been using them for 7 years now...... I'm starting to think the whole "can't use Lithiums in the cold" thing is overblown to say the least.

I suppose if I was going to routinely ride in the snow, I'd choose AGM but there is no way I'm ever doing that again - getting too old and brittle and it takes longer to heal. ;)

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
But Dave, some people DO ride in sub 40F or even freezing temps, which the LiFePO4 batteries do NOT agree with.

Are there Any new InternalCombustionEngine (ICE) bikes from any company that come oem equipped with a LiFePO4 battery?
See my previous post on the Lithiums and cold.....upshot is I wouldn't install one in a snowmobile but for a motorcycle, they've proven to be just fine.....actually much better than fine for what I do. Yes, many bikes use Lithium batteries; my KTM300 had one 11 years ago.

Dave

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
65 Posts
....well my KLR's may be 21 and 22 years old respectively but they each have Lithium batteries and LED headlights AND taillights! :LOL:

Dave
Given the news of the stock battery being so undersized I will likely be looking into a lithium battery at some point.

Well, though I avoid riding in below freezing temps, I live in Canada and have had zero issues with my LiFePO4's and I've been using them for 7 years now...... I'm starting to think the whole "can't use Lithiums in the cold" thing is overblown to say the least.

I suppose if I was going to routinely ride in the snow, I'd choose AGM but there is no way I'm ever doing that again - getting too old and brittle and it takes longer to heal. ;)

Dave

For the colder temps, do you turn the key on and let the bike sit "on" for a while to get the battery output up to snuff? I was looking into a battery like this for my Super Tenere, but given the low output when cold, I went with AGM again.

Also at the time it seemed that all the batteries lacked built-in management, so a balancing charger was needed. Seems more have the management system built in now.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
Given the news of the stock battery being so undersized I will likely be looking into a lithium battery at some point.

For the colder temps, do you turn the key on and let the bike sit "on" for a while to get the battery output up to snuff? I was looking into a battery like this for my Super Tenere, but given the low output when cold, I went with AGM again.

Also at the time it seemed that all the batteries lacked built-in management, so a balancing charger was needed. Seems more have the management system built in now.
Nope, I've never done that even once....though if I was going to start it close to freezing I would.

Dave

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
65 Posts
Nope, I've never done that even once....though if I was going to start it close to freezing I would.

Dave
Good to know. The Yamaha is not easy to turn over, but I'm sure my concern was exaggerated.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
A bit of googling confirms that despite my 2010 KTM having lithium, it is still uncommon today (mostly due to cost) and most of the bikes using them are either high end sportbikes (MV Agusta, Ducati, etc.) or high end offroad bikes (KTM, Husky, Honda CRF450F, etc.).

This is a good read; Lithium Motorcycle Batteries: Myths VS Realities – Updated

As I've said many times, the lack of required maintenance, significantly lighter weight and the fact the engines start more easily, I'm never going back to lead acid/AGM......I'm frankly a bit shocked as I never expected my lithiums to last this long especially because they've never seen a charger and sit for 6-7 months every winter.

Dave

·
Administrator
4,071 Posts
I'm frankly a bit shocked as I never expected my lithiums to last this long especially because they've never seen a charger and sit for 6-7 months every winter.
@DPelletier you should move to Alberta. Our winters aren’t that long here. 😝

• Haha

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Little update on the new YTZ14S battery I recently installed on my 22 KLR.
The bike starts much more consistently now, and the gauge display doesn’t seem to dim as much when cranking the engine over. Must be those additional 100 CCA’s doing their job (y).
Took it on a 250mi ride up highway 88 in the Sierras yesterday, and all is good now.
I’ll probably use the old battery for target practice, then give it back to the dealership I purchased the bike at 😆

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,528 Posts
.....I'm frankly a bit shocked as I never expected my lithiums to last this long especially because they've never seen a charger and sit for 6-7 months every winter.

Dave
LiFePO batteries have a lower self discharge rate than lead-acid. That’s why they can sit for 7 months and still have enough charge to start the engine. LA probably would be dead by then.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts